What kind of puppy to buy?

My husband and I have been discussing getting a puppy for the family! My 2year old Madison loves all animals! She has been good lately and competed well today in her natural pageant (Everyone was a winner). We just don't know what type of dog to buy her though? My husband wants to have it at the house when we get back from the out of town pageant in a week so we want good,happy,family friendly dogs! Thanks!

hkdjhg

Asked by hkdjhg at 1:40 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Pets

• Dachshunds are good, family dogs. We always had them when we were growing up.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:41 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• schnowzer
    Their so cute and so loveble!!!!
    and they dont chew on anything if you train them right!!!
    Jellowantsyou

Answer by Jellowantsyou at 1:42 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Honestly I'd take her to your local shelter and let her interact with the puppies there. That way you can see what the dogs personality is before you bring it home and if she is going to bond with the puppy.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 1:44 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Go to your local animal shelter and adopt an unwanted dog. Don't go put and encourage backyard breeders by buying a puppy.

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:45 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I've heard jack russells ,golden retrievers& labs are good family dogs
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:46 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I agree with checking with the local shelters first. Any dog can be good tempered you just have to meet them and let them meet you. GL
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 1:53 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• You do not need to buy a puppy. I just rescued the most adorable 8 week old pure bred boxer. Boxer's have a reputation with being really good with kids. All mine have been, but they are destructive. Anyway go to http://www.petfinder.com/index.html type in what kind of animal you're looking for. 

Personally I think 2 is too young. She wont remember the puppy stage and will not be able to help in the training. Also your puppy is going to leave urine and poop around for a while. Are you ok with your 2 year old being around that? Food for thought.

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:53 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• @onethentwins:I had a puppy when I was a little baby and grew up with it, he is long gone now but I thin it is fine! Also my husband is an officer and with a dog he could bring the pup to elemetary schools to teach k-9 techniques which is another reason for a dog, We have wood floors so I guess it wouldn't be that messy? We are set on a dog though!
    hkdjhg

Comment by hkdjhg (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Golden Retrievers are great with kids!

TJones32

Answer by TJones32 at 2:08 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I purchased a puppy for my youngest when he was 2 - big big mistake. Trying to potty train a puppy with a young child was a total nightmare. If you really want to do this I would advise going to the AKC web site and checking out the different breeds. They have (or did a year ago) a questionnaire which, once completed, matches your lifestyle, etc with a compatible dog breed. Couple of things to keep in mind though - puppies have sharp little teeth and they love to play. Little fingers, toes and bottoms are just the right height for playing tug of war.
    Pyuna

Answer by Pyuna at 2:19 PM on Jun. 9, 2011