Moms who don't circumcise...

First let me say, as I've stated before, and many of you know, I am a firm believer in Circumcision... And both of my boys were done. I did the research and everything I learned aided me in making the choice I made, so please don't turn this in to a "shame on you" post or anything - even if I felt what you felt I couldn't go back now anyways.

That all said. I am creating a "Natural Living" site, including a section on Parenting. Originally I was going to simply skip the subject, but I have decided that it's not up to me, it's up to the parents/readers to do the research and make their own choice. So, I've decided to include it.

Here's the deal though, since my boys are done, and I am not having more, I haven't kept up on researching that area. I was wondering if some of you could provide me with links, reading lists or articles about care and so on...

I would like to give parents the tools needed to explore both aspects of this choice without bias, and allow them to decide what is best for them and their children. The few pages I have saved though are on the benefits vs risks. And only make up a small portion of the subject. So, I'm going to kinda lean on you guys for information, leads and links...

Lets not create a debate or argument about how everyone feels on the subject, if it turns in to that, I'm closing things down. Please save that for the debate areas. I just need actual answers!

Thanks all!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:08 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• Just recently I had an argument with one of my daughters about this, I Googled the pros and cons for her and there are more cons than pros. You can do the same if you Google it.

Answer by older at 2:11 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• My son was not circumcised for religious and cultural reasons. Sikhs and Hindus do not circumcise.. I'm not sure if that is the type of information you are looking for though.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:12 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I would prefer not to resort to an Internet Search, because I want to make sure I am showing both sides accurately and you're never quite sure what you'll get on some of those sites. Personally, I have yet to see a con that's worth getting worried about, and many many pros...

And I would actually love to have some religious arguments on the issue for my other Blog...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• While every thing on this site is not non-bias by any stretch of the imagination this one pamphlet on fore skin retraction is good. It talks about advocating for you child in the situation where a doctor want to retract it prematurely as well as the 'function' of the foreskin.

It's good to know info if you do not circ.
    Anonymous

• Let me go grab a cup of coffee, send the hubby off to work. Then I'll come back and see what I can pull up for you..
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:16 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• OOPs link

Anonymous

• In regards to Sikhs

((note: my understanding of this passage, based on what my husband/others have told me is this..Not circumcising was one way Sikhs seperated themselves from Muslims of the region. Also, Sikhs do not believe in altering the body. No cutting of the hair, no tattoos, no shaving, no ear piercing..so on and so on.They believe that God's creation is perfect the way it is. Circumcision would fall under body modification))

http://www.sikhs.org/relig_m.htm

Sikhism rejects the idea of circumcision.

"Because of the love of woman, circumcision is done; I don't believe in it, O Siblings of Destiny. If God wished me to be a Muslim, it would be cut off by itself. If circumcision makes one a Muslim, then what about a woman?" (Bhagat Kabir, Asa, pg. 477)

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:32 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Very interesting... There's simply no way I could live without Tattoos though! lol

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 2:35 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Hinduism

With Hinduism. There really is nothing in any of the Vedas (as far as I know) that discusses circumcision (either pro-or-con). For the most part I personally believe that the history of not circumcising for Hindus is mostly 2 things: 1 separation from Muslims of the region (since there are many Indian Muslims as well as Hindus) and for cultural reasons (mainly being God created the human body as is for a reason). I say this because in the past few years, more and more "Indians" are beginning to circumcise and for the most part the choice has nothing to do with religion. There are actually quite a few articles that have been released in recent years (written by Indian physicians) encouraging the Indian population to begin circumcising. The responses I have seen/heard to these articles have been mixed. I was raised that a Hindu never circumcises because it modifies God's creation. That's not the case for all though.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:42 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I think I need to clarify something.. When I stated God creating the human body as is , as a "cultural reason", I should explain a little more (I realize looking back on it because that most definitely sounds like a devout religious statement). Hinduism really isn't our religion, our religion is Sanatana Dharma. It began being call "Hinduism" because only people in the Indus Valley region (keep in mind speaking of thousands of years ago) were the only one's who practiced/believed in Sanatana Dharma. Sanatana Dharma (much like Buddhism) is seen by many as a way of life, not simply a religion.Aspects of Sanatana Dharma permeate Indian/Hindustani society. So in many was aspects of Sanatana Dharma have become more cultural than religious over the progression of thousands of years. That's why I see circumcision as more cultural than religion. I hope that makes some sense in some way.. lol

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:50 PM on Jun. 9, 2011