What is this

Hello ladies, So i have been working at my job for about eight months now and i realized that on my w4 form it says 2 dependents, but i only take care of my son. Is this okay for them to include me as a dependent or should i say something?

blakemom

Asked by blakemom at 2:25 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Money & Work

• Say something and have them pull you W-4 to make sure you filled it out right. You can change your W-4 as many times as you want, so they may have you fill out a new one.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 2:29 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• You should have filled out the papers & can decide to claim 2,1 or 0. Definitively say something.
    robin2708

Answer by robin2708 at 2:29 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Do i get less on my check if i claim only my son or do i get more claiming both of us?
    blakemom

Comment by blakemom (original poster) at 2:46 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• It's not that big of a deal really. The difference is you get more in your paycheck and less of a tax refund at tax time. We like to get bigger paychecks, so we claim 6 dependents even though there are only 4 of us and we still get a tax refund. Two is perfectly acceptable though, when you do your taxes you are claiming yourself and your child....that's 2. You are perfectly within your rights to change that number to whatever number you want it to be, but you'll get less in your paycheck if you go down to 1 or 0.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:12 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• you aren't doing anything wrong. when they add up the columns ( yourself) and (dependents) on the w4 form thats where the 2 comes from
    miamoma

Answer by miamoma at 9:51 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I would use the number of deductions that will give me the lowest tax deductions, without owing taxes at the end of the year.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:40 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• The more you claim, the less taxes you have coming out of your paycheck.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 10:59 PM on Jun. 9, 2011