Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I move out?

In the State of NY can you move out at 17 if you have a baby and your boyfriend has a job?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

Answers (6)
  • If you are emancipated or if your parents consent.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

  • I moved from England to Oklahoma when I was 17 and got pregnant. So Im sure you can

    Answer by HollyRose at 10:28 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

  • Yes you can. I just went threw this with my little sister. You have a child in the state of NY you are an adult. You canmove out if you want.

    Answer by Harley84 at 10:30 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

  • Who can be considered an Emancipated Minor? A. Although there is no court proceeding in New York to have a young person declared an Emancipated Minor, New York Law recognizes the status of emancipation and the rights of emancipated minors.

    To determine whether a young person is emancipated, the following factors are critical:

    The youth must be living apart from his/her parents; The youth must be self supporting (may be receiving public benefits or child support if required by court order); The youth is not in need/receipt of foster care; The youth is living beyond the custody and control of the parent; The youth is over the age of 16.


    Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:43 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

  • Q. 1.3 Does the status Emancipated Minor help or hurt a young person?

    A. If a young person can establish his/her emancipation through the test above, then the young person would have the following rights:

    The right to retain one's own wages; The right to sue for parental support if the parent forced the youth to leave home; The right to establish his/her own legal residence and attend school where he/she resides; If needy, eligibility for certain public benefits (depending on the circumstances of the young person's emancipation);


    Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:43 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

  • in the state of NY when you become pregnant with a child and give birth to that child under the age of 18 you automatically become emancipated. You can continue to live under the support of you parents, but if you so choose you can move out on your own and support yourself. Two of my friends and myself got pregnant and delivered our children under age in the state of NY and this is what happened to us.

    Answer by SweetPoison at 12:26 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.