Wedding flowers

Should I attempt to do the flowers for my daughter's small, informal wedding or pay a florist?

CometGirl

Asked by CometGirl at 2:37 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Since you are the mother of the bride, and I presume you'll also be wrapped up in the last minute details of a wedding, you may want to have someone else do the flowers, particularly if you've never done them for a wedding before. I agree wholeheartedly with hotelmom123--even simple bouquets are much more complex than they seem. AND you would have to do all the flowers at practically the last minute. However, doing them yourself would save $$. I wish you the best of luck and congratulations on your daughter's upcoming nuptuals!
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 5:03 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• A friend of mine just did her wedding flowers on her own and they turned out gorgeous! She used Star Gazer Lillys. .
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:39 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I spent three weeks in floral school and have done some budget weddings and vow to never do it again.

It depends on what you want to do and your skill level. If you mess up an arrangement or don't have proper storage you can end up paying for it big time in the end. There are lots of clever simple things you can do with centerpieces and supermarket flowers. Practice ahead of time, know where you are getting the product (and be sure its actually a savings) but if you get in over your head you will be sorry. You would be surprised how much skill a simple handheld bouquet really requires. The simple little bouquets in Martha Stewart can be very deceiving in their degree of difficulty. Also, she often chooses rarer or more out of season flowers and this gets lots of folks in trouble.

I would say do what will save you that your are confident in and leave the rest to the pros.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 3:17 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• you can buy some very realistic looking flowers from a craft store and use those. so if they don't turn out as planned then you can try again. good luck!
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 3:25 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I say call around and find an inexpensive florist or maybe a good friend has some floral knowledge. Also depends on how simple the flowers will be. Fresh flowers I would stay away from. Silk maybe.
    3mom627

Answer by 3mom627 at 11:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• whichever you feel most comfortable with and can afford
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 4:36 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• its fun to o your own and cheaper, i did a bunch for a dance recital and sold them. they were a hot commodity!
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 6:27 PM on Jun. 12, 2011