At what age should you be able to leave the room and your child NOT

go into cabinets and dump things out, or crack all the eggs into a cup, or climb onto the counters and getting into the medicine cabinet....

My DD is 3 years 9 months and STILL does this crap. I went down stairs and she cracked all my eggs into a cup and the poured it into my pot of boiling rice! OMG! AND she KNOWS she was in trouble 'cause when I started back up she was hiding under a blanket on the couch. How do I teach her to stop. I know everyone says don't spank but I did this time! What should I do next time. She is old enough to know better I swear!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• Honestly, I would have spanked her too. That is old enough not to act like that.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:41 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• You left a pot of boiling water unattended with a toddler around and she was the one that got the spanking?!?!?!?!

It sounds to me like she gets no attention unless she does something dangerous. You need to engage her and work on the safety of your house.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:50 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• 3
    winkles115

Answer by winkles115 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• My kids never did that, I was always able to leave them. Maybe she wanted egg fried rice! just kidding, I know it's hard. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:42 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• My kids still do that stuff, and they are 4 & 5... It's rough sometimes. I'm to the point where every time I leave the room I have to give them a list of things not to touch! They'll grow out of it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:44 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• My 3 and 5 yo do that crap and it's mainly my 5 yo getting my 3 yo to do it because he never pulls that crap when she is not here....sometimes there is nothing that will work you can spank and timeout and take things away sometimes a kid just has to grow out of it.
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 2:50 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Can you imagine the trip to the er is she had flipped th pot over? It's bad enough I can to call poison control last month because she drank 1/4 of a bottle of benedryl. that she climbed onto the counter to get! UHG!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:46 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

I love how you base my parenting skills on one post. You have NO IDEA how much time I spend with her. lol. Seriously.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:53 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• OK, Prevention is the key here. Put locks on the cabinets & refrigerator, gates on the stairs & anything else that will prevent her from doing anything bad. She should know at this age that there is no climbing at all. When she does something bad, tell her you are going to take away & throw out her favorite toy. Then when she does do something bad, take it away & hide it. Let her have a fit. That is the only way she will learn. I don't spank and this works for me. They also sell things to put on the front of the stove so they cannot reach the heating elements. Preventing something before it happens is the key here. No leaving her alone in rooms either. If I need to go upstairs for something, I take my Son with me. It's hard but better safe then sorry. Occupy her time productively with books, DVD's, Music, etc. They get very bored at that age. GL!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:27 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Duct tape!
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:10 PM on Jun. 9, 2011