So...Ten Going On Fifteen?

So, I went over to my sister's house just now and, when I walked in my sister and her ten year old were screaming at each other.

"...but that's not fair! Why can't I go to my friend's house?"
"Because I'm not piling four kids into the car just to take you around the corner!"
"I can walk!"
"It's to far. You're not walking alone!"
"The others can stay with Aunt Sophie" (my sister looks at me and says "Oh hi," before she turned back to Melinda.)
"You're not going! I don't know exactly where she lives and I don't know her parents. You don't even know if you have permission to visit!"
"It's not fair! You never let me do anything! I hate you! I'm going to live with Aunt Sophie!" to which I reply...
"You wouldn't like living with me, honey. I would have whipped your tail when you started screaming at me."

What is this? She's too young to be a teenager. Is this just puberty rearing it's ugly head?

Razzle_Dazzle1

Asked by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 3:23 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I have one like that. She'll be all nice and lovely one minute and a raging, hormonal thing the next. When she was 8 she was sobbing at the kitchen table, honey what's the matter. Sniff, I sniff, sniff, don't, sniff, know! Runs to room, slams door. It's only gotten more interesting as she's aged. She's 11, an A-B cup, has af about every 6 weeks and you can tell. It's gonna be a bumpy ride.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:27 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• My almost ten year old doesn't scream at me, but she has gotten moody a couple times and caught an attitude once before I stopped that - but yes, puberty is coming and this is about when the hormones can start kicking up!

Answer by missanc at 3:27 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• HORMONES!!!! my DD was about that age when she decided to think she was mature enough to do whatever she wanted... When she realized that walking to the mall or her friends houses took time, she slowly came back around. just hold on, because it lasts a few years. from 15 to 21 they are the smartest people on the planet ya know..
    nybor48

Answer by nybor48 at 3:32 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I don't think you can blame it on puberty. I think you can blame it on the fact that your sister has not taught her daughter to obey and respect her. These are the basics of all good parenting. The older she gets, the harder it's going to be to teach her those two things, but like you, I would have started today!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:32 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Sounds like my 10yo. But she has behavior issues and has been like that since she was 3. She screams (and I mean at the top of her lungs) at everyone and hates everyone because we all hate her (especially me since I make her do things she doesn't like... like take baths, brush her hair, change her clothes, go to bed, do her homework, do her chores, eat healthy, etc... I torture her).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:46 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• The problem is YOUR SISTER.
    It takes TWO to have that kind of shouting match.

Sis should have either said "no, now is a bad time" or she should have said "let me call the mother and see if we can work something out"

You sister CHOSE to participate in that silly scene.
    Anonymous

• My boys have never yelled at me, no screaming matches in my house. Now there are times when they don't agree with my decision or whatever but there is no arguing or fighting about it. I don't think you can blame it entirely on puberty, however at 10 yrs old it is about the time they start looking for and wanting independence; which continues throughout the teen years. My youngest is 13 and this is the age I think it gets to its worst point, (same thing with my oldest when he was 13). Once I get past 13 its smooth sailing. My oldest will be 17 and we've had one issue in the 4 years since he was 13. Your sister needs to stop engaging in the argument, telling her once that she isn't going and why should be sufficient. I do agree with anon it takes two, and could be handled differently or multiple ways.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:39 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Your sister allowed her kid to talk to her that way and participated in the shouting match. Not a good idea. I love your response to her. LOL
    Cynthia525

Answer by Cynthia525 at 9:04 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I AM SO RELIEVED TO SEE THAT I AM NOT ALONE!!!!!!! I FEEL EVER SO MUCH BETTER NOW.
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 4:15 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• My 11 year old, Amber, will be 12 in October, and MAN does she drive me CRAZY. To the point where I just want to sit down and cry. I will tell her to do something, she talks back. And she just keeps talking back. 'Okaaaaay" "I wiiiiilll" "All riiiiight" and so on. Why doesn't she just shut the hell up and do what she's told instead of all the constant backtalk? Why can't she say okay mom and just DO IT?!?!?!?!?!

I have gotten in screaming matches with my daughter, I have also whipped her tail as soon as she decides to raise her voice to me.

As for the mom who said it's your sister's fault for participating in that silly scene, it must be nice to have a perfect child and live in a perfect world and have nothing ever go wrong in your perfect life.
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 4:18 AM on Jun. 26, 2011