How do I get her off this bottle??

Totall embarrased to ask the question because she is 2 now so please don't kill me with "you should have". I know - bad Mommy (and Daddy). I know this is urgent and I am a total whimp when it comes to hearing my baby cry. Being a working mother I only get 3 hours a night with her (since she was 2 months old) and I want it to be a happy time not a wresteling match or a sob fest. I appreciate any advice or tips you are willing to share with me.

BreaknTheCycle

Asked by BreaknTheCycle at 3:23 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm having the same issue. I don't think it's a bad thing, I think she will give it up when she is ready.
    I also only see my daughter about 3 hours in the evening and I want her to be happy at that time. She only uses it at night/nap time and it's comforting for her. People breastfeed for a lot longer than people tell you to use the bottle. And if it's a tooth issue, I always tell my daughter's dentist that she still takes a bottle and he says there is absolutely nothing wrong with her teeth and she's never had any ear infections because of it.
    Don't feel bad. She'll see that other big kids or kids her age don't drink from a bottle and she might want to give it up quicker than you think.
    llomeli

Answer by llomeli at 3:44 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Honestly, just take it away. You will have a few rough nights and then it will be over. I work too, so I understand how hard it is to do those things when you have limited time with your child. : (
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 3:30 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I am the type that just goes for the few days of crying....throw them all away and deal with the fits.

Maybe if you think about it this way... you are allowing her to be consoled by food. That is a dangerous thing to teach her at such a young age. Good luck.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 3:31 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Just take the bottle away. You might be surprised and she's okay with it. Maybe you can find some really cool cups for her.
    bellagracie82

Answer by bellagracie82 at 3:34 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Im going thru the same thing with my toddler shes only fifteen months I tried taking it away and she got very upset I still have a sippy cup around she puts it in her mouth from time to time I think she'll let go of the bottle when shes ready I also have trouble seeing my kids cry .
    michelle995

Answer by michelle995 at 4:01 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Will she take a sippy cup at all? You could take her to the store to pick out a cup and be done with it. I agree with the others, just take it away after getting her a sippy. Do it on a tues or wed so your weekend won't be bad, the worst should be over by then :)
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 3:35 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• We slowly introduced a cup at meals and other times DD and DS wanted a drink. We kept a bottle of milk for a bed time snack. When they were used to the cup as common place during the day, we took them to the store to pick out a cup they would drink out of as a bed time snack.They were 2 1/2 to 3 when all bottles were gone. DS is 3 1/2 and still has a sippy cup of milk before bed(not in bed).
    nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 3:36 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• my 5&1/2 year old has a bottle whe he wnats one... I dont believe in taking comfort items away from a kid. Dont worry about it, my stepson sees a psychiatrist for abuse from his biomom and I asked her about it, she said its not worth the fight and she has yet to see a kid go off to college with one....enjoy your little time with your baby, she wont be one forever
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 3:48 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Ok, so i should have been more clear on the details, she only gets it when she is going to bed/napping and ONLY with water in it. She does drink well from a cup and sippy cups.
    "shivasgirl", "llomeli", and "nova.mommy" - thank you for helping my guilt with this, always good to know I am not alone. I don't watn her teeth to grow in funky or have cavities or anything of the sort when we go to the dentist for the first time next month.
    Thank all you ladies for being open on your advice.
    Have a great day!
    BreaknTheCycle

Comment by BreaknTheCycle (original poster) at 4:01 PM on Jun. 9, 2011