Is Avatar kid friendly??

Our son just turned 8 and my husband and I want to watch it but aren't sure if its kid friendly. Haven't heard anything about it. Anyone see it and let their 8 year old watch it.

Is there alot of swearing or anything sexual?

Thanks!

choco_mom

Asked by choco_mom at 3:31 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:38 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Its violent

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:49 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I would NOT let my children 9 and 10 watch avatar.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 4:12 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• To go with my link.....would I let my 8 year old watch it? No, I would not. There is a reason that it was rated PG-13 and we usually go by a combination of the ratings and the kids in mind website.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:27 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• My kids LOVE Avatar, especially my son who had just turned 9 when he saw it first. He's watched it more times than I have.
    But we don't really censor our kids. They can watch anything rated up to PG-13 usually. They are 5-11 years old.
    I, personally, didn't find anything wrong with Avatar.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:29 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Ok, thanks. I'm going with not letting him watch it. Were pretty strict on what he watches, just never heard yah or nay on this being a kid movie. Sometimes the violence gets to him, thanks for the link to that website. Going to save it for other movies.
    choco_mom

Comment by choco_mom (original poster) at 4:33 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• my DD saw it at 8...i don't think it's a big deal.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:34 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Here's the thing, what some parents don't think the content of Avatar is no big deal, others will find it completely inappropriate for their children under the age of 13. That's where the Kids In Mind website breaks it all down. Violence, Sexuality, Language all covered in their reviews on a 0-10 scale - MPAA ratings bearing no weight in their scores. It allows you, as the parent, to read about the content of the movie and choose for yourself as to which of your children should or should not watch the movie.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:33 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• If you aren't sure, make sure to watch it when he isn't around. If you think its something you'd be OK with him watching, then let him. It does have a few curse words in there, but other than that, all 4 of my kids love it (4, 5, 7, 10). They also love Indiana Jones.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 5:38 PM on Jun. 9, 2011