12 weeks preggo with fibromyalgia

I am pregnant with my second child. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 6 months after having my son. It had been a problem for about 11 years but it was tolerable and "manageable" (Tylenol helped) After my son symptoms got much worse until they figured out that it was fibro. My husband and I decided we were going to go ahead and have one more child before calling it quits. After about 8 months of trying we conceived. But I can not take my medication while pregnant. Thus bringing me to my question:

Are there any holistic medications or therapies that are safe while pregnant?

Chiropractors, physical therapy, pain pills, and yoga don't help me...

Thanks for reading! Any advice helps, all my doctor has told me is that my medication isn't proven safe or unsafe during pregnancy, and that I could take it if needed. I just don't want to risk it.

Afrontz

Asked by Afrontz at 3:38 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Look around and see if there is a prenatal Chiro or masseuse in your area. I can't stand massage, but my Chiro was awesome through my pregnancies. You can also try herbal teas (the "calming" ones work okay). But to be honest, I resorted to Tylenol and my doctors gave me percocets for when it got to bad. I did my best never to take the percs, but I have a hip condition on top of my Fibro and couldn't walk without something for the pain... Otherwise, I just skipped most of it and dealt with the pain. Also, try meditation, I couldn't focus while or since I was pregnant, but they just did a study on Meditation and Fibro in Pittsburgh and found some really great things!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:44 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I haven't tried the fibro massage yet. I have bad anxiety because of the fibro I really don't think I would be able to deal with a person touching me for that long. Might have to give it a try though, I really don't want to have to take the pills. Thank you :)
    Afrontz

Comment by Afrontz (original poster) at 4:10 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• While every fibro patient is different, I will say that my fibromyalgia symptoms actually lessened during my pregnancy--I was 40 when I had my 1st and only DD and had been diagnosed with fibro for 12 years. I attribute it to the hormones. I took tylenol like crazy, but I got through it. I hope your experience is similar. Could you take watsu water therapy or low impact exercizes in a heated pool?
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 4:37 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I don't have access to a pool, besides public pools. I can't deal with that either. I can barley go to the store by myself :( I seem to have more good days than bad recently though. I'm taking it one day at a time, but it gets rough. I am really anti pain pills during pregnancy. Up until childbirth time, than give me the drugs! I guess I'll just keep doing my stretches and hope it will eventually help. Thanks for the ideas :)
    Afrontz

Comment by Afrontz (original poster) at 11:41 PM on Jun. 9, 2011