My seven year old son has ADHD and i dont want to put him on medications what do i do about disapline for his mouthyness and not wanting to listen?

ankelbiters

Asked by ankelbiters at 3:53 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Are you sure that's the ADHD or just him being a preteen?
    Anonymous

• he has been like this since he was four years old
    ankelbiters

Comment by ankelbiters (original poster) at 3:57 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Just show him he can be a good younger man.
    It is hard to behave at such a young age.
    I had ADHD and Dyslexia and I turned out alright. I have a Graduated College.
    Just show him love, Show him hope in your words and actions.
    My Mom never knew what to do and then she talked to my Grandmother who said those exact same words.
    You can make it without all those nasty medications just use your love,
    Slow yourself down and don't ask much from him.
    Use quiet words while trying to talk to him.
    Treat him like an adult, Treat him with respect.
    Good Luck
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 3:58 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• If he needs the medication, then give it to him. If he had diabetes would you deny his medicine? Medication made a huge difference for my son.
    Anonymous

• thank you guys you have been a big help
    ankelbiters

Comment by ankelbiters (original poster) at 4:03 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• here is my opinion, i have a girl friends that has a son the same age and she didnt want to give him meds either and this is what i told her, now i dont have a child like this so its just my opinion. I would give it to him because at 7 he doesnt know how to control himself. maybe when he is 13 take him off on days that you stay home so its at your house and not out in public. because at 13 he KNOWS right from wrong and how to control himself, at 7 he knows right from wrong but his emtions still get the best of him. i feel like if they need it, it should be given to him, if the dr told you you needed something to make you a better mom would you take it? i know i would!!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 4:18 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Be consistent with discipline; set limits and stick to your guns.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 4:41 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Mouthiness isn't ADHD specific, it's just more about being disrespectful. You have to make sure you're talking to him appropriately as well, and if he's mouthy or rude, he gets a cosnequence. He may be impulsive and say things that are inappropriate, but he can surely apologize as well.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 5:26 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Good luck, I medicated my son, hes fine until his meds wear off.
    Leelee1008

Answer by Leelee1008 at 11:20 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• 7 year olds certainly do know how to control themselves. You just need to gently correct him and remind him of the right way to do things, probably a million times or so. Make sure to praise him when he is good and correct him when he is not. GL mama.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:51 AM on Jun. 10, 2011