Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Breaking and Entering?

What would you do?
My soon to be ex husband moved out of my home, mine before the short 6 month marriage. At that time he left his key. Two weeks ago I was on vacation and came home to find he had come into my home while I was away and left yet another (unknown to me) key along with a 10 page letter describing what he saw as all of my faults. I later discovered he took, at some point in the last couple weeks, my engagement ring. I am considering filing a police report and getting a restraining order. I had to end the relationship because of fear of his narcissistic, enraged personality. I spent the weekend he moved out at my parents because I was fearful of how he would react.

Here's the problem. He is a police captain. I do not wish to cause him problems at work but I would think he would know better than anyone that is behavior crossed the line. Leading up to the separation he was threatening, jealous of everyone including my children and family, he manipulated me with suicide threats, and basically just made my life miserable. I was forced to start therapy for the extreme anxiety his actions caused me.

Should I file the police report and get the restraining order?

Answer Question

Asked by jandjsmom378 at 4:18 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Relationships

Level 2 (0 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Yes. Thats all that needs to be said, you know what you NEED to do.

    Answer by MissyNewMama at 4:21 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

  • I would try to get someone to help but since he is a police captain just watch who you go to. That is what I would be afaird of. But like you said he should know better and he is just trying to scare you. I know you but do not let him see it. I would do whatever and go to whoever to help to feel safe in my own home. So yes, I would find help but just watch who it is.

    Answer by momindiana at 4:23 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

  • Cripes, what a terrible situation!

    Answer by jmpj8107 at 4:29 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

  • Yes. He moved out and should not be in the house with out your permission.

    Answer by My3Ez at 4:30 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

  • Change the locks, file the report and get a protection order of some kind in place immediately.

    Answer by Rosehawk at 4:31 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

  • I wouldn't care what his job was...change the locks, file a theft and breaking and entering report, give them the letter because you KNOW who it is from...GET HIS ASS IN TROUBLE.

    Answer by hopeandglory53 at 4:49 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

  • When my mom left my step dad, we took very little with us in attempt to get away fast. She saw a lawyer, who informed her that as long as they were still married, even if it was HIS home, she had every right to be in that house, and to take what she wanted that didnt belong to his children. We waited for him to go to work, and cleaned house. We even took the light bulb out the fridge. So as long as ya'll are still married, Im not sure you can do anything because I dont think its breaking and entering.

    Answer by Auntiemom410 at 6:07 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

  • File a police report and get a restraining order. You shouldn't even have to think about it.

    Answer by monstersmommy20 at 10:40 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.