In regards to 'the world is getting worse'- can you explain?

The idea that the world is bad and getting worse is something that I have heard from several Christian friends and the post below made me think of it again. I honestly have never understood this perspective- I am the first to admit that there is misery and suffering in the world, but I truly don't see why you feel the world is worse now than they were during the Black Death or during the Spanish Inquisition or during World War Two (to name some periods in history.) I guess I also don't understand if you view the world as God's creation why you view it negatively. I am really wowed by nature, by the amazing complexity of the ecosystem and how it all supports itself (when we are not messing it up, of course!) This state of interbeing in the natural world gives me a lot of joy. So can anyone explain the belief that 'the world is bad and getting worse?' I'm not bashing, I honestly don't get it!

Freela

Asked by Freela at 10:33 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• To me when I say the world is getting worse, I really mean that society is getting worse. You can not even walk into Walmart anymore without seeing a womans breasts hanging out all over the place. The average age kids are exposed to porn nowadays is 11. There are now websites that help married people cheat on their spouses. To me that is just wrong and sick. The worst thing I think is in most of the times you mentioned, like the Black Death, it was obvious that things were bad. You could see the physical evidence of it. However nowadays a lot of the bad affects the world mentally or emotionally, so it is harder to actually see the damage that is being done. Or once the damage is seen, the damage is already done.
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 10:54 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• 1.Gay Marriage is becoming common practice
    2.People are starting to lose faith in God and becoming non-religious
    3.Teen pregnany and pregnancy out of wedlock is an everyday occurance
    4.Abortions are being done like a common practice
    5.People dont have family values
    6.Single parent families are everyday practice too
    In all honesty I can go on and on...Im sure that wars etc were pretty bad too, but in our society this is the bad stuff that is going on now and its getting worse....Its common sense really!
    Anonymous

• Violence, drugs, and outbreaks of (preventable) diseases are just a few I can think of right away that are getting worse.

I love nature too, but it's these things that were not meant to be a part of nature that are getting worse and decaying our population.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:44 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• yup there right all this stuff going on. also if you read in your bible matthew chapter 24 it will also explain . God bless
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 10:46 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Why is this world getting worse and people view it this way? SELF CENTERED PEOPLE!
    People don't care about anyone but themselves these days. It's all about them and what they can gain. (I'm speaking about the world as a whole. I know there are exceptions to the rule.) When people don't put Christ in the center of their lives, they love less and care less about anyone other then themselves. Therefore, you have idiots in powerful positions who run our world and help contribute to the negative happenings of our world.
    jeni2671

Answer by jeni2671 at 10:51 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Just how exactly does gay marriage make the world a worse place to live??
    Teen pregnancy and abortion would both decline if people would start educating themselves and their children about safe sex, and using contraceptives, instead of teaching that silly abstinence only rule.
    I have no religious affiliation, and yet I manage to have a lot of family values. Single parent, gay parent, divorced parents, it shouldn't make a difference. It's not who is in your family that makes it valuable, it's having the family.
    Of course the bible teaches that the world is decaying, how else can it get people to live in fear?
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:57 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I wanted to also add that people are having sex with multiple people getting diseases like HIV AIDS Herpes, etc etc etc. This is disqusting and I don't know how people can go about their lives doing this...This is the society that our children have to look up to? Makes me sad, and I am sure God is just as disgusted!

Anonymous

• my2.5boys, that is exactly why you feel that the above list is nothing, you have no religious affiliation!
    Anonymous

• I'm a Chrisitan and I read the Bible...but I don't live in fear. I'm a bit confused by that remark. I think every Christian I know lives happily knowing where they'll be when their time comes. No one I know is living in fear.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:00 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• ReneeK3....I agree with you. I don't live in fear either. I live my live trusting in my Lord that he knows what is best for me and he will guide me. It's a lot less stressful living this way and putting your burdens on his shoulders than your own.
    jeni2671

Answer by jeni2671 at 11:08 PM on Dec. 10, 2008