I just had a baby about a week and a half ago and her belly button hasnt fallen of yet. Under her shirt there is a little bit of spotting, very little should i worry?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As long as the stump is present you should be cleaning around it at least twice a day. As long as there is no drainage or foul smell and no redness ringing it it is fine. Some babies take up to 21 days for the stump to fall off. Let it happen on it's own to avoid problems.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:24 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• My daughter's took two full weeks to detach.

I learned an important lesson with her- keep it DRY. do not use rubbing alcohol, water, or anything else to clean it. It doesn't need it.

If you want to dry it out quickly and safely, go to the drug store and get "Goldendseal" capsules, open them, gently pull the skin folds from the stump back, and sprinkle a tiny amount around the base of the cord 2x a day when you change her diaper.
    It was a nifty little trick I learned from my CMN when I had my second child. His stump fell off in 4 days, no bleeding, nothing. Healed absolutely beautifully!! Same thing with my 3rd. His fell off at 5 days fully healed.

Goldenseal dried it out and heals it incredibly quickly, without any side effects.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:27 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Sounds fine. Only worry if it starts gushing bright red blood. My DD is 2 weeks & 2 days old today and hers just fell off this morning.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 4:32 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• sounds normal. my sons did the same thing. spray & wash will get it out of clothes. and you can choose to do nothing or use alcohol wipes on it, there isn't a wrong answer. we used alcohol wipes and ds's took two weeks to fall off
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 5:03 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Nope. Just keep it dry. I wouldn't do a thing to it. It often takes longer then a week. As long as it doesn't smell funny or look infected, I would leave it alone.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:22 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• With #1 we were so worried and gentle it was 2 weeks and the pediatrician asked us how we were caring for it. When we showed him in the office he could see how scared we were of hurting the baby. He cleaned it and it fell off right then. With #2 it took about 1 and a half weeks. There was a little spotting - but it is ok. It's just like a scab/scratch that might spot a bit.
    chrys45

Answer by chrys45 at 9:48 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Nah, I wouldn't worry! It took my son 2 weeks and even then that's because I got tired of it hanging by a smidge so I put alcohol on it and bam! Fell right off and stopped leaking.
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 11:26 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• its okay my sons took 3 weeks you will be fine just keep doing everything you can just a sponge bath and try not getting it wet
    mommy2be22321

Answer by mommy2be22321 at 6:15 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• It falls off on it's own. Could stay on for a month. No worries. Don't give baby a bath, sponge bath til it falls off.
    Naplesmommy03

Answer by Naplesmommy03 at 9:49 AM on Jun. 11, 2011