Using different spelling on baby names ???

I have seen alot of people on here who dont like choosing unique names or using differnt spelling on a name . They say its just a lifetime of corrections for the child. For example... Emilee instead of Emily or Leim instead of Liam. Am I the only one who likes unique spellings and names? I would rather my child have a beautiful unique name and have to correct someone on spelling than just have some plain jane name everyone has...This is just my opinion...What do you think?

momma_twins7317

Asked by momma_twins7317 at 4:25 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Baby Names

• i dont prefer the unique spellin my name is megan and i always get asked if theres an h and my name is simple LOL i couldnt imagine but then again it really doesnt matter to me its not my baby LOL its the mommys choice!
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 4:28 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I have a unigue one. My oldest daughter is anmed Katlynn. No I cant find anything with her name on it, I just tell her that is bc she is special :)
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 4:29 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• i don't mind to a point. like an above poster, my name ia megan too and im glad to have a simply spelled name. i tease my mom that she should have combined all the spellings and named me meaghanne lol
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 4:32 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• i personally like unique spellings :)
    ciaras_mom_05

Answer by ciaras_mom_05 at 4:27 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Personally I like the standard names and spelling, I don't think there is anything wrong with the unique ones, that is just my opinion but I don't critizise other for doing it
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 4:39 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I love unique spellings, but not too far out there though. My name is Carin (a form of Karen), my son is Conor (a unique spelling the US, but actually common in the UK). If I can get pregnant again, and it's a girl (which I'm hoping for), she'll be Cathryne and her nicknames will be Catie/Cate. Nope, can't find anything with our names on it, but it's not a big deal, can always get it customized if it's wanted that badly.

I will say this about unique names. In my line of work, I love it. We have to look up clients in our system and it's not a problem when we have a social security number to go by. But when we don't and we have something common like Tom Johnson or Dorothy Smith, it takes that much more time to do the research to make sure we've found the right client. But spell the name a little different or just have a strange name period sure does make my job easier!
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 4:45 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I have a plain (to me) name that STILL gets misspelled frequently. I don't think my kids' names are unique. They are not common to the area I live, bu they are considered fairly traditional names.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:45 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I worked w a girl who has a unique name. We were waitresses. Every night, countless people would ask her how to pronounce her name, what it means, who she was named after, etc. After 23 years she was sick of explaining the same thing over and over every day. Can't say I blame her. I pick names I love for my kids, they happen to be fairly common.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 4:48 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I personally like unique names with ordinary spelling...although, I don't mind spelling alterations for actual language variations of a name.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 4:56 PM on Jun. 9, 2011