i am 41 and pregnant. Just found out that i am 6 weeks and I smoke 1/2 pack a day

is it to late to avoid birth defects. If I knew I would not be smoking up to my 6-7 weeks. is there and hope for a normal child

shashe104

Asked by shashe104 at 5:33 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• yes there is, starting cutting back now and quit as soon as you can. GOOD LUCK
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:35 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Of course.. !!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:38 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Many woman smoke throughout there whole pregnancy some drs. will even tell them at some point it's safer for the mothers to cut back rather then stop cold turkey. Your baby will be fine.
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 5:40 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• It's not as if smoking = there will be berth defects. Just go as long as you can between cigarettes until you're down to 1 or 2 a day, then quit.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:42 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I didn't find out I was pregnant with my 1st DD untill I was 4 months and I smoked up untill I found out and she came out find.
    jdwilson864

Answer by jdwilson864 at 5:47 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Absolutely! Women used to smoke all the time when pregnant. The Dr.'s in the 50's even recommended it to calm the womens nerves! BUT, that does NOT mean that it is actually OK to do. I would speak to your OBGYN & start cutting back as much as possible & stop. I am not a smoker but I am pregnant at 43. To put your mind at rest & not worry through the rest of the pregnancy. You can have a Chorionic Villus Sampling test for genetic abnormalities at 10 weeks. I did. Best wishes & congratulations!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:49 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Thanks guys. Your answers have been very helpful. Have not had cigarette in 6 days since after confirming my pregnancy. My worry is not quiting. I am worried that I smoked everyday for 6 weeks of my pregnancy. I know one thing, they smell terrible. What was I thinking.
    shashe104

Comment by shashe104 (original poster) at 5:50 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• It sounds like you have quit now - good for you! (c: You can't go back and change what happened before you knew you were pregnant, but you can take steps now to do all you can for healthy baby. Congratulations on your pregnancy (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:57 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• honestly hun, people used to smoke all the time when they were pregnant years ago and no im not saying that its ok but i smoked during my second pregnancy and had quit with my first and they were both perfectly healthy!!
    MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 6:05 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Absolutely. I'm so glad you quit. Your baby is going to be JUST fine.
    Ataemommy

Answer by Ataemommy at 6:22 PM on Jun. 9, 2011