Should I have filed a police report?

Our city is doing tons of roadwork (actually, they will tear up a street and leave it for days or weeks before getting back to it to fix it). I was coming home and found the main road closed so I turned down a side street. When I got to the next intersection the city workers had all of the other roads blocked off so it was like a dead end. I had to back up to get out of there. I check my rear view mirror and no one was coming. I started to back up and this guy runs into me - we hit hard enough that I KNOW I he had to have been coming at us, I wasn't going that fast. He claimed that he was backing up  and I was going faster than he was. I called the police and the officers came out and didn't write a report because if they did they would have to give me a ticket for driving backwards. The other driver has no damage but his truck made a hole in my bumper and dented my trunk. Should I have insisted on a report? Should I file it on my insurance (I have full coverage) or should the other guy's insurance pay for it?  Also, the police never even asked the city workers about the incident.  Do you think they didn't want to make a report because the city had the road blocked with no road work signs until the road was closed?  Right after the accident the city guys moved their truck so that traffic could go through.

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 6:08 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Travel

• I think they didnt want to put a spotlight on the city & the work they are doing. Yes you should have insisted upon a police report be made. Not sure if its too late now but you could give them a call & ask again if they will make one. If there is no police report you have no chance in getting the other guys insurance or the city if need be to pay for the damage done.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 6:12 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• The police officer gave me the other guy's insurance information already and gave him mine. Should I file something with my insurance before this guy tries to claim I did damage to his truck?
    scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 6:15 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Yes. Call your insurance and file a claim. They will fight on your behalf and try to get his insurance to become the payor. Trust me . . . they will do all they can to place the blame on the other driver. That is their MO.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:23 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• If you are getting the ticket then you are at fault and his insurance will not pay for it
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:24 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Oh, and, don't worry about the police report. Just file. They are good to have, but not essential.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:24 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Be prepared, though, that they may decide you were at fault. There is sometime a "default" . . .people backing up or making left hand turns can be "default".
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:26 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Mommy_of_two - I didn't get a ticket so there is no "fault" filed officially. I would have gotten one for driving backwards on the roadway - even though I'm pretty sure it would have been worse if I had just hit the city worker who was standing in the middle of the road and knocked down the barricade they had going across the road.

scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 6:27 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• You need a police report to file on Insurance. I think I would contact the city and make a complaint. I would also contact the police dept. and explain the situation. Do you have the officer's name? May get some help from a supervisor. Good luck.
    irememberwhen59

Answer by irememberwhen59 at 6:40 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I would call your insurance company and also if you got the police officers name call his supervisor and demand a report be written normally for the other persons insurance to pay for damages there has to be a report written; good luck
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:33 AM on Jun. 17, 2011