Changing a fish tank during pregnancy?

I have 3 Koi fish that are like my babies. Since I'm so attached to my water-babies, I'm usually the one to change their water. This happens multiple times a week, and I have the proper equipment so I'm not doing any heavy lifting.

My concern is about "breathing" or smelling their rather fishy smell. They are basically goldfish, so the frequency is already near a minimum.

I'm about 11 weeks pregnant and I can't find any information whether this is safe or not.

Anybody know anything about this?

new_mom_10_21

Asked by new_mom_10_21 at 6:22 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You should eat them. Fish oil is the best thing you can ingest while pregnant.

In all seriousness, why would a fish smell be a problem if you need to ingest fish oil for a healthy baby? It's perfectly fine.
    Ataemommy

Answer by Ataemommy at 6:26 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I was more concerned of the oils, chemicals, water additives to keep the tank safe, and blatently the smell of fish poop.
    new_mom_10_21

Comment by new_mom_10_21 (original poster) at 6:32 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• i ave no idea i would call your ob's office and ask
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 6:35 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I wouldn't worry about it at all and go ahead and change it. If the stuff is toxic just make sure that there is good ventilation around.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:37 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• No It isnt a problem. We had a huge tank when I was pregant and I helped clean it., Obviously watch for weight dont lift anything heavy.

Answer by gemgem at 6:50 PM on Jun. 9, 2011