Odd behavior

my middle daughter is 2 and a half, and she has always HATED getting her hands dirty. out of my 3 kids, she was the one who didn't touch her smash cake at her first birthday. she merely poked at it with her pointer finger. then, the Christmas she was one and last Christmas, i made home-made gifts for my parents and the inlaws that consisted of handpaint and wooden "plates", i had each of my children dip their hands in the paint and press them on the plates to make handprints. both years she CRIED when i smushed her hands in the paint. she is also very particular at mealtimes, she eats very carefully and slowly, taking her time to eliminate getting herself dirty. if we're outside playing and she gets the slightest bit of anything on her hands, if rubbing it off on her shirt doesn't work she'll stop what she's doing to come run to me until the "yucky" stuff is gone. and most strangely, she uses her feet to wipe her tears as a last resort. she had a potty accident and my husband laid her on the floor to wipe her, she gets sooo upset when she poops/pees on herself that she cries hysterically, so she was naked while he was cleaning her, nothing was within reach for her to grab and wipe her tears away with, so she grabbed her foot and used her toes to wipe her tears. WOW! that was the weirdest of all. is this something i should address with her pediatrician? or are some kids just anti-messy?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 6:51 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Kids' Health

• My 3 boys all have sensory issues and I wonder if your little one could have sensory issues as well.. I would make a journal and write down what you observe, (like her not wanting her hands dirty), and at next Dr. appointment bring it with and address the issue.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:57 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Some kids are more detail-oriented and particular than others. Because she is so young, I really wouldn't worry about it much.

Many engineers, architects, mathematicians might tell you that they were similiar in nature as a toddler.

Now, if she is in elementary and is having trouble making friends or doing schoolwork because of anxiety, then, that is a different story.

I would venture to say that odds are she will be just fine. Very smart and just fine.

:)
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:57 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• It is too young for labels. SHe is fine . . . just make sure you get her exposed to enough science as she is growing . .. .she will probably head in that direction.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:00 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• my ds is similar to that...hate his hands being messy, ect. he wont eat mellons or anything squishy or slimy lol i say dont worry to much about it right now if she's still like that when she's 4 or 5 i might start to worry. my son picks at his feet and hands until they bleed but the docs dont want to diagose him with anything because he is only 3.5 years old.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 10:58 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Sounds like sensory issues & lots of ppl/kids have them. In general, they're not a problem for most people & they learn to live with their little quirks, but when the behaviors start to interfere with development or socialization, then it's time to intervene. At 2, they're not a real big deal, but if you are noticing the behaviors & they seem to be troubling your DD, there are some things you can do at home to try to help her. There's a good book, "The Out-of-Sync Child" by Carol Kranowitz that you can pick up from your local library or bookstore, that has lots of helpful information & ideas.

http://www.amazon.com/Out---Sync-Child-Recognizing-Processing/dp/0399531653/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1307719086&sr=1-2
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:22 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• OCD
    Anonymous

• but OCD is an anxiety disorder, can a 2 year old have anxiety? i also worry sometimes because of how she acts at playtime, again everything must be done meticulously. like when she drops the box of crayons, she stops what she's doing to pick them all up- doesn't matter how long it takes. and if i actually intervene to tell her "let's go inside" or "that's okay, go play mommy will finish" she'll tell me "wait, mommy, wait, one second" because she has to do it.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 6:58 PM on Jun. 9, 2011