What are your values? How do your religious beliefs influence them?

This is inspired by the Pagan Values Blogject, which is going on right now...

What do you consider the values you hold most dear?  How do you practice them?  How are they influenced by your religious beliefs?

thalassa

Asked by thalassa at 7:13 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• My values and my beliefs are one and the same. They aren't because of or in addition to my beliefs, but instead they are a major part of why I hold the beliefs I do. More than anything I believe in Equality, for everyone, not just for Americans! I believe in Justice and standing up for the little man. I value nature and everything with in it. And I value our children and those who can't help themselves! I am passionate about living a life in accordance with nature, rather than against it and do both fundraising and promotion for a number of charity organizations devoted to aiding the less fortunate among us and those who have been abused. I also do what I can to raise awareness for a number of groups and causes which I feel represent issues that have been neglected or which impact the lives of children, less fortunate, ill or which affects nature or our world as a whole.

cont.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:59 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I do my best to practice as I preach and not only advocate tolerance and education but constantly strive to attain it within myself. And of course I do my best to teach the value I have in life and equality in my children. I teach them to respect all forms of life and nature, to tolerate others beliefs and accept that everyone is different and to stand up for others, regardless of how they feel about the person or the situation.

We are in the process of becoming a chemical free home, we cloth diaper and EBF, I'm learning to cook from scratch and grow my own food and we avoid medications accept in extreme cases. I'm learning natural medicine and herbalism. And sharing my knowledge with others through my website & blogs. In addition I teach tolerance through education for a number of religious beliefs, as well as work to raise awareness for trafficking, slavery, and many civil rights groups.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:08 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Oh, I also teach my children to "share the wealth" by involving them in my charity works as much as possible.

Right now I am in the process of launching a Natural Living Blog and launching a new National Charity that aids Human Trafficking Victims as well as raises awareness about the issue.

I know some of that is repeated, but I'm loosing focus as I type because I'm rocking a screaming baby to sleep too... Sorry about that.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:10 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• honesty and respect, for a fast pick. not really sure how my religious beliefs influence them (ok, i know there are a few OT commandments i could mention), but i've never considered it a strictly religious influence. i completely appreciate honesty in people, so i give it back. same goes for respect. (although, we've seen here in this section that 'respect' means different things to different people.)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:17 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• My religion and my values probably go hand in hand. I am Catholic.

Answer by gemgem at 7:18 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• My values include, but are not limited too....treat others kindly, always. respect the earth and all living creatues that reside on/within it. DO all things from a place of love.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:30 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Honesty
    Service
    Tolerance
    Peace

I become at odds with religion if it is seeming not to fit my values in practice. They all ore "supposed" to stand for this, but the fellow members sometimes are WAY off.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:31 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Its really important to me to be a good person, and always treat people the way I would like to be treated. Im not much of a religious person, I think its just important to make sure to value and find beauty in everyday, and make sure the people you love know you love them.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 7:33 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• My values are based on the ideas of love, compassion, and humanity. My faith/beliefs influence that, not by defining those values for me, but by supporting and complimenting my values. My beliefs (religious) are centered on the idea of Jesus and his message of love and compassion, a message I believe is found in the other faiths of the world as well. It involves seeing the human in each being, and recognizing the potential inherent in humanity, in each and every one of us.

I "practice" those beliefs by doing my best to live a life of love and compassion, by striving towards that ideal, the potential we have as both individuals and as a human whole, by trying to be as "Christ-like" as possible, since I believe the idea of Christ, the person of Jesus, is one of the greatest examples of a fully realized potential we have. There are others - the Buddha, Gandhi, etc - and I pull from them as well, but my foundation is in Jesus...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:50 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I think for me, it all comes down to respect. I mean, I have plenty of other values, but if you look at the root of those values, it comes down to respect--integrity is based on respect for oneself, compassion is based on respect for others, conservation is based on respect for all living things, hospitality is based upon compassion, and service is based upon all of those things.

While I don't think that any one of those values are specifically Pagan, I think that the plurality of sacredness that most Pagan traditions acknowledge makes it easier to respect--particularly things that are different.
    thalassa

Comment by thalassa (original poster) at 8:23 PM on Jun. 9, 2011