Teaching and Military Jobs and Stereotyping - Do you agree?

I know several people and have met many people over the years that were either teachers or in the military. Everytime, it seems that each of these people, even if it's my first time meeting them, seem to work into the conversation somehow how teachers/military people don't get paid much. I grew up hearing this as well from all of my teachers. However, when I learn more, I find out that some of them are well off. Some make around $50,000 and up to $75,000 depending on their education and experience. A teacher I know has 2 houses, 2 cars (one that is a Jaguar) and makes $50,000. For one person, that is more than plenty. Some military also earn up to $120,000 taking on certain overseas tours. While they are overseas, everything is paid for (housing, food, etc.), they get extra bonuses and pay, and some don't even encounter combat overseas. Several military people I know tell me that most of the time they are playing computer games or goofing off and enjoying (in their words) their "free vacation." I've even seen live video footage from some military friends in the middleast just goofing off or taped sleeping in secret places if they have nothing to do because their superiors ordered them to hide it to avoid poor public image. It's really starting to annoy me that these people continue to see themselves as not getting paid enough and perpetuating this "poor, noble me" image just to solicit sympathy, favors, more pay and discounts. Teachers and military have lots of discounts as opposed to the regular person who may get paid less and gets no benefits/discounts. It's not to say that all teachers or military act misleading because I do know some that don't get paid well or that are in special ops and actually risk their lives versus just sitting in a tent playing video games or hitting the local bars.

If you are a teacher or in the military, would you be annoyed if these people whine about something that you probably wouldn't complain about?

One teacher roommate I had complained daily about teachers being poor, yet she made $48, 000 in her first year of teaching whereas at that time I was making less and still able to make the rent. What do you think?

BTW, I am in the military myself and I take offense to those of us who complain all the time. I don't get paid much, but it's enough, and I am able to make it work, pay my bills. I knew what I was getting into when I signed up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Money & Work

• Teachers have been like this since I was a kid. And I'm in my 40s. My theory is that you know what kind of pay you will be getting going into a job like that and if you don't like the pay, don't go into that field. Class sizes are getting smaller, they are only allowed 18 in this state. Heck I was a little league coach with that many children on my team. My pay...zip. Either go into it because you want to shape the future generation or go get yourself another job. But good luck getting a job that is going to pay you that high and still get off in the summer, breaks in between AND still get sick and vacation pay. And don't forget, after 3 years you virtually can't get fired either.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 7:39 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Pull head out of sphincter, then re post, k?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:41 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Are you in the military or were you? It sounds like you are contradicting yourself. If you were in you would know that whether you are on the front lines, special ops or not you play a vital role and deserve the pay that you make. It is all a part of big one machine. You may not be doing the actual face to face combat but you still play an essential role. Those that are overseas and are in dangerous area get hazardous duty pay and so deserve it and deserve quite a bit more and I guarantee that most do not see half of the $120,000 you are talking about. You would like to think that you know what you are getting into when joining the military but until you have gone through bootcamp, get married and have a family you can never understand the full sacrifices that go along with it.
    Anonymous

• he also raided houses and was the first person to go in. is this what you would rather see on tv? would seeing people's lives actually in danger make you feel better, or judge less?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:42 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Only have Master's degrees!

Do you know how much work it takes (not to mention money) to get a Master's Degree????
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 8:23 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• my sister is a teacher and barley makes 30,000 so not all teachers make a lot. and military takes several years to get a decent pay with how much work they do. Most work over 60 hours a week.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:36 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• those teachers who made that much probably also earned a PhD and were the department heads, same with the Military pay you described. sure, there are plenty in each field that make plenty of money. when my husband was in the army, he was stationed at Fort Stewart, GA and there are residential parts of the post that you can't even drive on without permission, it's only for the "higher ups" and the base commander. however those are the people that have been in the service for years, same with the teachers, they have more experience under their belts. obviously more experience, longer hours logged = better pay. that still doesn't negate the fact starting teacher's salary is around $31,000, or the fact there are many soldiers who don't sit in a nice air conditioned fob all day. my husband served 15 mos, did foot patrols for 16 hours some days and constantly avoiding stepping on IUDs. this is what they won't show you on TV.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:39 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• around $50,000 and up to $75,000 is NOT well off. 75,000 is do-able if you don't have kids or want to own a house. But 50,000 is terrible when you are expected to have a masters degree (as you are here in MA). Starting teachers pay here is 40,000 but you must get your masters with in 5 years.

As for our solders... then ones who put their LIFE & Physical safety on the line so that you can live in a country free of tiernay... they make crap if you consider they could DIE or loose limps just doing their job (protecting you)!!

So no, I don't agree!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:50 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Our society is taught that our teachers and military do not make much money. As a teacher, I think I make a fine income... but everyone always wants more, right? Personally I don't talk about money, I find it tacky and rude... and most teachers that I know do not wander around lamenting their woes, but there are many that do.

Personally, I have the theory that teachers should never really be overly paid... it should be done for the love, not the money. If we pay a lot- we'll have many more people that come in and do a half-ass job and want their summer's off. For both military and teaching- you should do it because you love it and it is a calling. There are MANY other jobs out there that are meant for people that want to make a bigger buck.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 7:50 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• My husband, whether home (which he's currently not) or somewhere else in the world, wakes up sometime around 4am and works hard until 8 or 9pm. He is away from his family, his friends and his own belongings here. I don't know who told you or where you got this info that all they do is play video games all day from but I have never heard of this. Our military works very hard for their pay. I'm very offended by this question. We make no where near $50,000 and we live in base housing which is decent, but we also drive 2 cars that are both over 10 years old. We do not want pity nor do we expect discounts on items...we signed up for the military because my husband wanted to do something honorable for his Country that he loves...not because he believed he'd make a ton of money.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 7:54 PM on Jun. 9, 2011