Do you step in?

So I have a family member that has a very misbehaved 2 yr old. She throws tantrums and tears our house apart when she comes over. We used to not say anything but we see now that her parents won't stop her from acting out, so now we will tell her to stop it or we'll put her in timeout. The parents never say anything to her and just let us discipline her. I am just like HELLO? YOU DONT SEE HER OVER HERE, TEARING MY HOUSE APART!? I shouldn't have to discipline your child when you are standing right there. Do you discipline your friends/familys LO's? If so what are their reactions?

Mrs.Gallegos649

Asked by Mrs.Gallegos649 at 7:43 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would take the parents aside and tell them if they are unable to get a handle on their child's behavior they are no longer welcome in my home, or if they come over get a sitter and leave their heathen at home.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 8:06 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Hell yea I do. Once or twice, when they first come over and they misbehave, I leave it to the parents.. But if they don't , I'll end up grabbing the kid and telling him or her no don't do that and bla bla bla.. It really stinks to have to do that. But they need to learn, that, especially in your house. Mind their manners.
    danichaos

Answer by danichaos at 7:46 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• You need to talk to them again because its their job to take care of their own kid no matter what. Family or not, take a break from inviting them over.
    MissyNewMama

Answer by MissyNewMama at 9:19 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I have never been in this position before, but I think I would say something to the parents if I was close with them. Its not its at another location, its YOUR home that is getting destroyed. Very disrespectful. Sorry to hear!
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 7:45 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I wouldn't... I would tell the parents to handle their child because its not your responsibility plus their destroying your house. The parents shouldn't think thats your job
    Ricoandari

Answer by Ricoandari at 7:46 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• any of my friends or family would expect me to discipline their children while IN MY HOME if they were disrespecting it or me. and its mutual.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:47 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Unless you want your house destroyed, you either have to set boundaries for the child or the parents. If you feel comfortable disciplining the child, then do so, but otherwise you can tell the parents there is certain behavior you expect. Just keep in mind, if the boundaries are not set for the parents, this behavior is only going to get worse with the child. They don't just start behaving on their own. It's a disservice to a child not to set boundaries because they will get into trouble later on and children need rules.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 7:48 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I don't, but I will tell the adults to do something if the kid is being dangerous or destructive.

I will say, "________ is drawing on the walls. Please do something. We don't allow that here."

Second thought . .. I guess I do intervene. I will remind the child of the rules.

ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:49 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• i would saysomething to their parents,even if they get mad.
    ladyb155

Answer by ladyb155 at 8:16 PM on Jun. 9, 2011