Do you hear things that aren't there when you are hopped up on caffeine?

LaTrobe University researchers asked 92 people with varying levels of caffeine intake and stress listen to three minutes of white noise via headphones. The study participants were told that Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" would be playing in the headphones, and when they heard it, to hit a buzzer.

While the song never actually played, the people who were hopped up on five or more cups of coffee buzzed three times on average, while the low-caffeinated people buzzed just once on average, the Herald Sun in Australia reported.

Though this particular study size was small, it's worth noting that the findings match up with that of a study published in 2009 in the same journal. That study showed that highly caffeinated people -- those who had consumed the equivalent of three brewed cups of coffee -- were three times more likely to hear or see things that aren't there, LiveScience reported.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/09/high-coffee-intake-hallucinations_n_873861.html?ir=Food

tasches

Asked by tasches at 8:16 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Food & Drink

• The voices in my head say that's crap lol.
    Anonymous

• Don't believe it, sorry.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:17 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Interesting...
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 8:23 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• nah, I just get the shakes really bad
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 9:52 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Sorry, I don't believe it. Caffeine doesn't bother me at all.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:57 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• nop!! drink it all the time... what study was that???
    miamoma

Answer by miamoma at 11:04 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I'm caffeine free now, but back when I used to consume large quantities, I never heard things that weren't there or saw things that weren't there. And I've never heard of anyone who has till this suspect study by LaTrobe University. Whose to say the researchers didn't actually play the music but said they didn't. We'll never know and either will the 92 people who participated in the test. Only the researchers know the truth.
    lore_tex

Answer by lore_tex at 1:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2011