All religions question from my daughter...

Remember this is from a five yr old. She asked me why there is bad men ( her explanation on evil men) allowed in the world? Why there isn't some like sam to stop them? As well as why she can't see the angels like sam can? Note my dd loves supernatural. She has been asking me religious questions lately and I try to give her answers from all views though this is more because I'm lost on how to answer any help?

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 8:18 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• sam? how does she know 'sam' sees angels?
    why not tell her why you think bad men are allowed in the world? what makes men bad?
    i'd ask her what she thinks before i tried to answer anything.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:21 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• So she doesn't buy the whole free will line?? There are people like Sam out there. ( Ghost Hunters, Paranormal State, and Psychic Kids) Just not enough like Sam and Dean. They can't be everywhere. And why can't she see angels?? Well the one psychic on Supernatural that did see the angel had her eyes burned out from it's natural form. The angels in Supernatural possess humans like any demon would. She can talk to the angels and hear them with practice and mommy's permission. But everyone has their free will to do with as they please and the bad men will have to answer to their use of it eventually. Be it God or karma.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:26 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• My daughter (she's 4) has come to the conclusion that bad people exist so that we know how to be good. She says that they are bad because they have had bad things happen to them and have learned that being mean makes them feel good, since they never learned that good things make them feel better.

She also says that jail is time out for grown-ups...and that it is the job of the police to take the bad men and put them in jail so that they can think about the people they hurt by being bad and have a new chance to learn to be good.

(if only the world were really that simple)
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 8:30 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• There are no evil men. There are no good men. Everyone does what they do according to decisions they make. Sometimes the choice someone makes will make someone else sad or hurt. Sometimes the choice will make someone else happy. But everything is just about choosing what you want to do, and when. It's not about "good" or "bad". It's just thinking things through. Sometimes people make a choice that hurts someone because they don't realize it will hurt them. It's important to think about what you do and how it will affect you and affect other people, now and later on.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 8:35 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

Sam is off the tv show supernatural she loves it. In there him and his brother see and help angels.

So she doesn't buy the whole free will line??

She doesn't seem to we've talked about it before and she says it doesn't make since if we're all human we have the same feelings so one can't be bad just out of choosing. She thinks theres more to it she is a bright little sh*t scares the crap out of me some times.
    hot-mama86

Comment by hot-mama86 (original poster) at 8:36 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• If you are not offended by Jesus I recommend going to a non denominational church and speak with the pastor or Sunday school teacher.
    mamatel

Answer by mamatel at 8:45 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I'm Christian I just don't raise my children to be so.
    hot-mama86

Comment by hot-mama86 (original poster) at 8:51 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• People are not good or bad, people choose to be good or bad. And we must remember that without bad there can not be good. I would show her a "Yin & Yang" symbol and explain to her that if you take away the black (evil) parts it's incomplete. You have to have both halves or it simply doesn't work right. I believe, and I would tell her if she were mine, that even the "bad people" serve a purpose in life. Without those who are evil there is no motivation for the rest of us to be good. Personally I am very active in charities which aid Human Trafficking victims. It was this cause that first introduced me to the world of Charity. Now, had I not found this cause I may not have the respect I do for others, or possibly I wouldn't have any drive to change the world... And if I had not been raped I possibly wouldn't have even the drive I do for that cause... It all boils down to the fact that without evil, there is no blessing!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:56 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

--

That reminds me of a verse in the Tao Te Ching:

"What is a good man but a bad man's teacher? What is a bad man but a good man's job?"
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:28 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• @OP--I don't know the best way to approach the subject and it depends on your personal beliefs, but in Buddhism suffering in generally due to delusion of self (not recognizing that we're all interconnected in this world), and particularly greed, ignorance, selfishness, etc. In some religions 'evil' is seen as some kind of external force, but in Buddhism we are responsible for our decisions--'good' or 'bad' and those that are ignorant will probably make poor choices that may harm others in an attempt to benefit themselves, while others will think of more than themselves and think of what will benefit people in general.

"Basically we are all the same human beings with the same potential to be a good human being or a bad human being ... The important thing is to realize the positive side and try to increase that; realize the negative side and try to reduce. That's the way."~Dalai Lama

cont'd
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:33 PM on Jun. 9, 2011