Do you consider this child abuse..

I overheard a mother standing behind me in line today telling her young son, who looked to be around the age of four, that if he didn't behave she was going to take him back to the zoo and feed him to the gorillas. He had barely been whining at all bur started bawling hearing her say that! I swear I wanted to knock her upside the head and run off with that kid and give him a good home! But since kidnapping is illegal and all that I decided against it. Thoughts anyone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• that is definiotly wrong and yes it is considered mental abuse. there should be a law that some people should not have children if they are going to treat them that way. kids at that age believe in what ther parents tell them. think of the little kid sceaming like that he really thought his mom was going to do that.
    angeleyz375

Answer by angeleyz375 at 9:04 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I tell my kids I'm going to sell them to gypsies. My dad used to tell us he was going to rip our lips off.

It's a joke. It sounds like the kid was in a bad mood and mom made a joke and it hurt his feelings. I wouldn't be overly concerned.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:13 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• hahaha. Feeding was bad, but i tell my kids i am going to return them to their original homes at the monkey exhibit in the zoo, they say ok! We crack the EFF up. But no its not abuse but i think her wording could have been a little wiser.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 9:06 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• its sounds like euphamism she cledarly wouldnt feed her child to the gorillas but was just trying to get across that he needed to behave. the example may not have been age appropriate but i wouldnt call it abuse just innapropriate
    bkateese

Answer by bkateese at 9:08 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Every child is different and responds to different things. There are actually some parents out there, including myself, that think children should be behaved in public, and this includes whining. I have raised 3 children to adulthood and different threats worked differently on each one of them. Time out is a big joke, like kids really feel they did something wrong because they have to sit for 3 or 4 minutes. My mother used to tell me that she would break my arm off and hit me over the head with it. I didn't grow up warped. I respected her and wouldn't think of breaking the rules. Would you have rathered she cracked him on the butt or would you have been so fast on the phone dialing 911? A parent is only an expert on their own child and needs to stay out of other people's parenting unless a child is being hurt.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:17 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Although the comment may not have been age approprate I do not feel as if it is child abuse.

My husband walks into wal-mart with us (our son is almost 2) and practically yells "free baby"... he doesn't mean it, it's a joke.

My parents used to tell us they found us under rocks and blah blah blah...or that we belong in a zoo...
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 9:28 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Really? No that is not abuse. So not only do we have to worry about spanking our kids in public (NOT beating, I would NEVER beat my child) now we have to watch everything we say? I mean, this mother would obviously not take her child and feed it to the gorillas, she was trying to get her child to behave.
    Anonymous

• I think you're overly analyzing it geesh... I am sure there are times you say things that you regret or sometimes you're just kidding with your kids.... I love my daughter and I am sure I have said something to her like that at some point.
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 9:17 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• no, i don't consider that child abuse.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:20 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Wow I tell my boys things like that all the time.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 11:30 PM on Jun. 9, 2011