How do I keep my dd from getting confused about "Santa"

We don't do Santa or a tree or lights or any of the traditional Christmas things in our house other than the gifts as a representation of the greatest gift ever given to mankind our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. So my only concern is my dd is only 3 years old but she is starting to make lots of friends and they come to our house and ask questions as to why we don't have a tree up and they ask her what Santa is bringing her. She always tells them Santa isn't bringing her anything her mommy and daddy buy her things. How do I go about doing all of this with out interfering in another families beliefs and spoiling the whole Santa thing for other kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Holidays

• I tried to do the Santa thing but couldn't. We raised our kids knowing full well there was no Santa but where the whole thing came from--Saint Nicholas--a real man with a real story. They knew from a young age about St. Nick and where the toys came from. My sister wasn't really happy when her son was informed by his cousins but that is life:-) Her son and my youngest son are still best friends at 19:-) I really couldn't carry on what is basically a lie and then also be teaching them about Jesus--just couldn't. Couldn't do the Easter Bunny either;-) Do I think less of parents who do--absolutely not. But I knew in my own heart, I couldn't play the game. They knew from a young age that the Christmas Holiday in the USA and most other countries that recognize it, do so because of Jesus Christ. (Yes, I know about the pagan connections...) But in the USA it IS a Christian Holiday as it is celebrated.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• i never believed in santa growing up, and my daughter who is 4 doesnt either, and never has..santa is someone she gets to have her picture with every year..and when she tries to say he gives all the presents, i tell her no, but that he helps some less fortunate families out during this time of year..and then we get into the whole discussion about christmas is a time for giving..etc..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:05 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I posted the above and wanted to add--we did decorate and have a tree. When my kids were little, I always thought is was cute when adults--like my MIL-- would ask them what Santa was bringing them and they would look at them like they were nuts and tell the adult--with respect--that Santa wasn't real and Christmas was Jesus' birthday. We would make a birthday cake for Christmas Eve and read the Nativity from the Bible. My parents would come out for cake--his just thought I was nuts:-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• we have told our three year old that Santa is a character like MIckey Mouse and have explained that the presents she receives are from the people who love her
    tmcewen

Answer by tmcewen at 1:03 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• We were faced with this with our kids too. We told them that Santa was a story, but that they weren't to tell any of the other children that Santa wasn't real. We told them it would spoil the other family's fun if the kids found out Santa wasn't real.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 2:15 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I have never told my son one way or another about Santa, I wasn't going to lie...when he figured it out then I told him that it would not be nice to spoil the Santa idea for other kids.

I told him that if other kids ask what Santa is getting him to ask them, "Does anyone really KNOW what Santa will bring, you can hope but that's about it?" it throws them off and they generally stop asking him after that.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 2:19 PM on Dec. 12, 2008