I have two girls who share a room and I'm having a hard getting them to go to sleep, any suggestions?

My girls have pretty much always gone to bed with out a fuss. But lately it seem like all they want to do is play and talk. The older one has to get up very early for school and staying up too late make our mornings difficult. I dont know what to do other than to separate them but that is not an option.

ChristineWhipp

Asked by ChristineWhipp at 9:17 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Different bedtimes - maybe 1/2 hour earlier for the younger one. By the time the older one gets in there younger is asleep.
    Anonymous

• I'd give them one warning and if they didn't quiet down and go to sleep I'd make one of them sleep on the couch or in my bed. I think. lol, never actually been there.

My mom, when my sister and I were little and did this, would just come into our room and start screaming at us... which also worked lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:19 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Tell them if they want to chit chat before they sleep you would be happy to put them to bed a half our earlier so they have time to do so. ::GRIN::
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:22 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• send the younger one in bed earlier then the older one once shes sleeping. Tell them you took away there priviledge of going to bed at the same time due to playing and talking once they get better try it again
    sydney1026

Answer by sydney1026 at 9:23 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• i have that problem too, i have 3 daughters and my older two (ages 2 and 4) share a room. the 2 year old is the instigator, lol i've seen/heard her doing it. however none of mine are in school or have to get up early for anything so it's not really an issue. they're all asleep when i go up to bed around 10/11. their bedtime is 8. however, my oldest will be starting vpk this fall and will have to be there at 8 am. i like anon's idea of having them go to bed at different times. obviously if one is already asleep, the other will fall asleep out of boredom lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:23 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• You could try to make a sort of game out of it, like a chart with stickers, and a reward for going to bed on time, and no big deal on the reward, like a "movie night" on friday? or camping out in the living room or something you know that they enjoy? I have a singleton, but I have a younger sister, we were always too tired to be playing around bedtime, so we never did much after lights out. I really liked the idea of an earlier bedtime, too, that's pretty genius!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 9:29 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Make one go to bed earlier then the other, thats what we do with my boys. also we make each have about 1/2 to an whole hour of relax time before bed, makes for an easier transition
    Leelee1008

Answer by Leelee1008 at 10:35 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I shared a room with my sis until I moved out to college. We are 18 months apart. Staying awake and talking was a perk to sharing a room. Just let them chat for a while. They'll go to bed when they're tired.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:49 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I vote for separate bedtimes. It may not work, though, the older one may wake up the younger. If that happens, have the older sleep on the couch for a night or two. She may decide to go to sleep on time. (or she might like it, then I have no more ideas)
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 7:04 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• My boys share a room
    My 7 year old goes to bed between 8:00 and 8:30. My 13 year old goes about 9:30.
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 11:44 AM on Jun. 10, 2011