Has anyone tried the iud contraceptive?

What are the side effects... good and bad? can it affect sex drive? does it hurt getting it put n? can u feel it once it is n?

sarahlu

Asked by sarahlu at 9:20 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Health

• I had the Paraguard one put in about 11 years ago and had it removed 8 years later. now they use a different one... i think its mirena (sp?). Anyway, Paraguard was AWESOME! Putting it in was no worse than having a pap and i felt like i was going to start my period that day but i wasn't in pain at all. Taking it out was even easier. The only draw back was that I had really, really heavy periods every month for several months after it was put in. When I say heavy I mean heavy... changing the pad/tampon every hour.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 9:25 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• i had it done about 3 yrs ago. it hurt about like bad period cramps going in. i couldnt feel it once it was in place. i didnt have any problems with it. also i loved the fact that after 1 or 2 months i no longer had a period :)
    esmith1984

Answer by esmith1984 at 9:25 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I have the copper T, its good for ten years, the doctor put it in 6 weeks postpartum, no it didn't hurt at all -but I looked on the internet and if you have never had a baby it does hurt when they put it in. The only trouble I have is I spot and my period last about 10 days and not 7 :) I am still glad I have it, and no you can't feel it, a doctor can also easily remove it too.
    Hope99

Answer by Hope99 at 9:26 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I had the Merena. It helped a lot with periods- making them lighter and less cramping. The string was a nuisance but I found out later that mine wasn't trimmed short enough, so that's why it was bothersome. Other than that, I didn't feel it. Putting it in wasn't a big deal either. As far as sex drive, I felt no difference other than I didn't have to worry anymore about condoms breaking or ovulation timing. So it was a relief and I could enjoy myself more.
    Knowlsonator

Answer by Knowlsonator at 9:27 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I have the one with no hormones. It hurts going in and they said its a little worse coming out. I bled A LOT while they were putting it in but it only lasted a day. My periods have been reallllllly heavy ever since but now only last 7 days when it used to be longer. No weight gain or sex drive changes. Big issue is DH can feel the strings and he says they really hurt him sometimes when they poke him! Ive had it almost a year with no real issues besides poking DH
    GirlWithANikon

Answer by GirlWithANikon at 9:56 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• i have the copper one, paraguard i believe, it has no horomons on it and works great!!!! its good for 10yrs. i was in slight pain, similar to a period cramp for a little while after it was put in but that was it! no side effects what so ever for me with it.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 11:09 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• ok well my advice dont do it my doctor told me everything about it so i did it and id have to say in october of 2009 it fell out 1 time so we put another in and it fell out during a heavy period and i got pregnant in november not knowing i was intill febuary 10 2010 i thought the iud was still in well when i found out in febuary i was 3 months pregnant so my advice dont do it
    Sara_Carter

Answer by Sara_Carter at 7:03 AM on Jun. 10, 2011