Typical youngest sibling behavior?

my 16 month old (turning 17 months on the 13th) is a hair puller! she's not in daycare and her two older sisters don't pull eachother's hair so this is not a learned behavior. it's just her reaction when she gets mad at one of them for taking something from her. i've been told that the youngest sibling acts out the most to "stand their ground", but i've also been told the oldest acts out most because of the added pressure of being the oldest, and i've heard the middle acts out the most because they're the "forgotten ones". i'm not sure if there is truth to any of it. i have three daughters and i certainly never leave my middle out of anything, nor do i ever expect my oldest to act as anything more than a kid. admittedly it is hard to divide my attention between 3 kids, so i'm wondering if she's acting out because of that. she's always had stubborn behavior and thrown a little fit when she didn't get her way. no matter how many times she gets reprimanded for pulling their hair, she still does it when she's angry. but sometimes i see her stopping sooner and remembering that mommy and daddy don't like it when she does this, still it's like an automatic reaction for her, like acting on an impulse or something. *sigh* frustrating yet normal??

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 9:41 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• she is probably just standing her ground and can't really talk yet so she is just expressing herself. I would nip it in the bud now though.
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 9:49 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Well I have two boys and my youngest is just now one and he gets mad at his brother when he is trying to give me loves. Just hang in there she may just want one on one Mommy and Daddy time and that is how she tries to get it!
    CorysLady08

Answer by CorysLady08 at 9:56 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Well I live in a house with lots of ppl and my kids r 3 & 5 but there nephew lives here and he is almost months and he pulls dd's hair when he gets mad and throws stuff at ppl too so yes it is a normal reaction when my son was lil he pulled his sisters hair too we always just made sure to move him away from the situation, direct his attention elsewhere and let him know that it wasnt nice and thats what I do when I have my nephew too. She will quit eventually, my nephew doesnt do it as often now but he still does it, but he knows to stop when we say no. Good luck momma, things will get better :)
    mama2005

Answer by mama2005 at 9:58 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• that was supposed to say nephew is almost 18 months.
    mama2005

Answer by mama2005 at 9:59 PM on Jun. 9, 2011