How do you get your future mil to not feel threatened by you.... i cannot replace the relationship she has with her son, however i feel like im engaged to both of them....... help

divmom

Asked by divmom at 10:47 PM on Jul. 11, 2008 in Relationships

• I would say it just like that "I cannot replace the relationship you have with your son but I would like to share him with you though since he has enough love for us both"

Answer by admckenzie at 10:49 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• HA!! thats a funny ?... I have been married for 4 years, and we only get along through the summers... still... I don't have an answer for you, I wasn't trying to be rude here either, so don't take offense to this
    Illinoismomof_3

Answer by Illinoismomof_3 at 10:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Talk to her... get to know her... the best thing you can do at first is just LISTEN to her. It will probably be annoying & she might come off like she's SUPERMOM, but if you take the time to listen to her & get to know her, she'll notice that you care. Also, don't talk TOO much about your own mom for a while b/c she might feel like you're comparing/judging them, but do feel free to tell her stories... especially if something comes up that you have in common. My MIL and I both enjoy bowling, crocheting & baking... so we can always talk about that. If she's just being a nasty bitch, try to keep your cool... she IS his mom.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 12:13 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Read The Mother-in-Law Dance by Annie Chapman.

She is his mom. It's tough and I get annoyed too, believe me. BUT what helps me is that I have a son I ADORE. So I think about him marrying someone (which I pray he does) and how much I want to still be a part of his life after he marries.

TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:48 PM on Jul. 12, 2008