What would you do if a nice old lady

wanted you to take her shopping once in a great while? I started doing that for this old lady I've know for 24 years. Then she asked me if once a month I could take her grocery shopping and she would pay me. What I have to do is bring her wheelchair, a ladder so she can get in my car (my car is not tall), AND a walker. I have to take her shopping for over 2 1/2 hours and she spends $800 in groceries. I have to load everything in my car, get her in, all her crap and take her home. I then unload everything myself while she goes "now make sure you leave me room to get to the kitchen." and other stuff. OK so I do that and now, once a week, she makes me get her prescriptions at the doctors office and bring to her. When she said she was going to pay me, she said she would pay me for my time AND gas. She pays me $10 a MONTH for everything I do. Plus occasionally she e-mails me and tells me to go to the store for random stuff and bring to her. I am seriously tired of it. WWYD?

emmyandlisa

Asked by emmyandlisa at 9:52 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Relationships

• Well, if you don't want to keep doing it, send her an email and tell her your "new" price, quote something outrageous and tell her its because you're getting robbed for $10 a month!

If you want to preserve the relationship, sit down with her and see if you can work out a fair price, given the cost of gas and your time. I'm guessing this is about a 4 hour opportunity for the shopping, and another two hours with the Rx. I would charge $20 per hour for my time, and only you know what your gas costs.

Seems to me that a single person who can spend $800 on food could cut loose with more than $10 for the person who is making it possible. I get the sense you are being taken advantage of...
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 9:57 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• And I swear she puts the guilt trips on me. Every time I get home I have an e-mail from her saying how much she appreciates me and how her own kids won't do it and she loves me.
    emmyandlisa

Comment by emmyandlisa (original poster) at 9:54 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I would not say anything to her directly, but occasionally make up reasons you can't do it this day or that...slowly backing out. thats how I would handle it.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 9:54 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• No Anon, I do not lack compassion at all. What is happening is that she is starting to take up all of my time with all of her appointments and errands I have to run. And seriously, don't be a troll, you can post your "true" self lol.
    emmyandlisa

Comment by emmyandlisa (original poster) at 9:57 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Thank you dwmom, I love this lady but I do feel like she is taking advantage of me. I work full time, have kids and not a lot of time on my hands. I really need to spend more time with my kids and less time running errands for her!
    emmyandlisa

Comment by emmyandlisa (original poster) at 9:59 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Really??? You lack that much compassion???
    Anonymous