With the election coming up, now the rural communities are important....

President Barack Obama, who during the 2008 campaign famously referred to small town Americans as bitter people clinging to guns and religion, today issued an executive order establishing a White House Rural Council.

“Strong rural communities are key to a stronger America,” Obama said in releasing the order. “That’s why I’ve established the White House Rural Council to make sure we’re working across government to strengthen rural communities and promote economic growth.”

So now he cares about small town America, or "flyover country" as it's also called. I call it trying to buy votes, and I think most small town people will see right through this.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/3-years-after-bitter-people-clinging-gun

Thoughts?

DSamuels

Asked by DSamuels at 10:02 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• – collapse
    Most people who are conservatives and live in small towns or on secluded land ARE bitter people clinging to guns and religion....and they think Obama will confiscate their guns and turn the USA into a Socialist nation.....its obvious and it is so wrong and so paranoid. He was right----anyone who is educated and who has lived outside and seen the world knows. And the ones who are bitter and clinging to their guns haven't dared venture ourside of their narrow little environment where fear dwells.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• SMALL TOWN RURAL PEOPLE ARE SOME OF THE SMARTEST PEOPLE AROUND.I AM FROM A SMALL TOWN AND VERY PROUD AND WAS PROUD TO BRING MY KIDS UP IN A SMALL TOWN.I WISH PEOPLE WOULD QUIT TELLING LIES ABOUT RURAL TOWNS,WHEN THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.
    georgia362

Answer by georgia362 at 10:18 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I live in a rural town myself. I may not be formally educated, but I could run circles around a lot of college educated people with letters behind their last names. I have lived in both cities and small rural areas. I cling to my guns and my religion and I'm darn proud of it. I am also aware that there are different areas out there, unlike some city folk who have never been out of the big city and think that the world is overpopulated and there is no place to put any more humans. And as far as Obama taking away guns and religion, HE is the one that made the comment. Cling to what is important to you. Heck here, we go to church packing heat and you know what? We don't have issues with people doing anything bad in our churches. Can you say that walking down the street in the city or in your schools?
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:27 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I was born in raised in a rural USA. Closest grocery store was 30 miles away, closest mall, 1.5 hours. I am educated, I have moved (left home at 18) to Philly and have since moved a couple more times. And I don't agree with Obama. So I guess, anon., you are incorrect. I wouldn't call small town USA people bitter (some are, yes, but there are also bitter people in cities) I would call them proud. Obviously this is his way of trying to get more votes, but that is his job...to get more votes anyway he can!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 10:29 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Anonymous has never been a rural resident or if she was, she stuck out like a sore thumb. The far-sightedness of our founders in establishing the republic with an electoral college has been instrumental in keeping rural populations from falling prey to populated cities with all of their neurotic behaviors. The bitter people are the ones that follow a god-like leader until he reveals his true nature. It must be embarrassing to not only be thought a fool, but to speak or write and reveal all doubt.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 11:26 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• @ ANON....the majority of my BOSTON born and raised family members are the most narrow-minded people I know!! Some have degrees, some do not, but just because you live in a diverse, educationally, medically, and culturally rich area, doesn't make you any more intelligent or "aware" of the world around you if you never left "main street!"

I know live in a country suburban area, and will NEVER live in a large city again! I have a Master's degree (that I earned more than 20 years ago). and have literally seen the world. At 18 I was a registered Democrat. By 20 I was a registered Republican, and after 2008, I am a registered Independent!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:50 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Anon that is the stupidist thing I have seen in awhile. I am from Southern CA but live in a small town in the south now and the people here have more common sense in their little finger then most people I have met in larger towns. The fact is the small towns like the one I live in have been hit hard with job loss and since Obama has been elected no new jobs have come here. That is what is going to be a major issue with this next election. Not guns. Not religion. It is about survival. When you see people who have survived and lived here for generations standing in line at the food bank week after week that is a problem.

Answer by gemgem at 7:56 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• P.S I also have a degree and know plenty of people in this small town who do, too bad there arent any jobs for us.

Answer by gemgem at 8:00 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I am about as rural as it gets, no guns here, I do however enjoy the sport of hunting. Religion? Of course, had it when I lived i the BIG CITY, besides is that not why our Nation was formed, for freedom of Religion? SMALL TOWN BACKGROND or no I have traveled the "WORLD" and have yet to meet anyone whom I have more respect for than my Father. He is an American farmer, so all you hypocritical folks who want to bash small town folks, remember who has and will always put the food on your table, the clothes on your back. When the economy completely falls we will survive off the land, what will yo do??? Oh and dn't go on "his" land uninvited, he excecises his rights to carry a firearm, and won't hesitate to pill the trigger...lol
    shefree

Answer by shefree at 8:01 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• LOL ar the first anon. What an idiot.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:58 AM on Jun. 10, 2011