Knitting lessons for boys...

would you allow it, if your son asked?

DebateandRelate

Asked by DebateandRelate at 11:05 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in General Parenting

• Yep! My boys are already asking me to teach them to crochet. I crochet a lot and they think it's so neat. When they're old enough to really "get it" I'll teach them!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:05 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Of course.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:07 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• of course! my DH knits and it comes in handy since he is a teacher!!
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 11:20 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• YES! And to cook and sew. My 21 year old son is a rough neck, extreme snow mobiler, top rank shot gunner, excellent dirt biker, rebuilt a truck engine at 15 by himself, and he can cook and sew:-) He started cooking his eggs at 3 and sewing by 8. He sews better than his sister!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Yes.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 12:39 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Why not? There's no reason for men not to know how to do things that women traditionally do, and vice versa. A woman is not any less feminine for being able to change a tire, the oil in her car and fix a water pipe, and a man is no less masculine for being able to knit, sew, cook, or change a diaper.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:56 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Yes! He wants to learn to cook and sew as well! And yes, I will also teach my daughter to change a tire and the oil in her car. I think we should be more worried about teaching our children to take care of themselves and be self-sufficient and less worried about gender roles. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• If he asked absolutely! Who am I to squash who he is and what he is interested in just because it is not common.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:11 PM on Dec. 11, 2008