At what age are co-baths no longer ok?

My 4 year old DS and 2 year old DD like to take baths together. If one gets in the tub the other comes running and jumps right in with them. No questions have come up, no odd behavior or anything... just wondering. The play nicely together and clean up the tub when they are done. So it is not a problem for me.

chrys45

Asked by chrys45 at 10:02 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• idk--hell, I walk around naked and I'm 36!
    Anonymous

• my cousin still bathes her children together and they will be 6 and 4 girl and boy. I think thats extreme but at 2 your daughter isnt paying attention to anything yet, at least i would hope not! so i would say maybe in the next year i would stop.
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 10:06 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Well DD loves to be naked. Her brother is sleeping in thermal jammies and she sleeps with a diaper on... so I am sure she is not bothered by it!
    chrys45

Comment by chrys45 (original poster) at 10:06 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• DS is 6 DD is almost 3 and they both bathe together. DD was curious about his weenie but I told everyone to keep their hands to themselves we don't touch other peoples pee pee's. Since then there has never been an issue. Its much easier for me :)
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 10:09 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I would not worry about it as long as anything isnt going on -- even if something does happen once, i wouldnt stress. they are kids & they are curious. keep it mind their privates are practically no different than their bellies/chest.. if it happens have a open Q&A about it (on their age level) and talk about not doing it again. questions can be ask to mommy & daddy but no touching each other.
    They will grow out of it when modesty hits them...
    My 4.5yo is getting is just starting to get modest (sometimes). She is starting to want to change alone, or will get shy & want privacy if she is changing infront of anyone but me, and even she will tell me to go away she is changing & doesnt want me to see her butt lol
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:11 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• At that age they are innocent, its adults who think more of it. My daughter is almost 4 and my nephew is almost 3 when they are together they bathe together, its natural to them they dont even think of nakedness as anything, at that age their private parts are like any other part of their body
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 10:22 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I know an 8 year old and a three year old who still take baths together and it is just fine for them! they are still innocent and pure and think nothing of it! They play with bath toys and have fun! I don't think I would let my kids do that at that age but hey, to each there own.
    hkdjhg

Answer by hkdjhg at 10:47 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I think that change that happens around age6-7 is a good marker. They start getting new teeth...and they get their own bath/shower! :)
    Until that point, I say bathe the whole family together, but once they are that age...learning more about privacy and protecting their body is important.
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 10:48 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Around 1st grade is when I started bathing mine separately. My 2nd ds and 3rd dd are only 18 months apart, so it was always much easier to bathe them together but we stopped at 5 and 6.

Answer by missanc at 9:12 AM on Jun. 10, 2011