Do you give money to panhandlers?

We don't. I have given them food before but I refuse to give them money. Especially after I saw the Dateline report where some of these guys bring in over $500 in one day. I figure if they take the food I offer then they must actually be in need. I have had some turn the food away and one guy threw the hamburger I gave him at my car. I gave one guy a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter as well as several boxes of raisins and some beef jerky. The guy immediately picked up his bag, loaded it all in, and walked over to the underpass and sat down to eat.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 10:45 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I give non-nontarnishable foods instead of money
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:46 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• *oops non-Perishable
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:47 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I knew a guy who panhandled. At the end of the day he would get in his BMW that he hid behind the store and go home. I don't help.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 10:49 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• no,because I always feel as if I am supporting a drug/alcohol/ciggerate habit. A friend gave me a great idea have fast food $5.00 gift certificates on hand,
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 10:50 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Yes I do
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 10:57 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• The only time I saw a panhandler was when my daughters and I were visiting in NYC and we were in the theater district in Manhattan. We had some leftovers from dinner and gave them to these guys sitting by a theater where we planned to see a play.
    I wouldn't give money. I suspect they would buy drugs or booze.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:02 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• My husband and son do, and I totally support their compassion, but I rarely come across panhandlers when I'm alone.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:05 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I do. In fact, I try to talk to them as well. Not all of them are alcoholic or addicts. I know a 76 year old man named Ted who really wants to replace is lost leg. He likes a medium lemon tea with two sugars. They're people, just like everyone else.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 11:06 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Nope, there's this one panhandler that's usually around every Wednesday or so. He's got a sign that says: Start new job on Friday, need help till then. He's also got one for Saturday or so: Start new job Tuesday, need some help til then.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:10 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I have but only if they are "working" for it, I like giving to muscians and such.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:15 PM on Jun. 9, 2011