6 year old wetting the bed?

im foster parenting my niece! and she has wet the bed at least once a week for the last 2 months! she says she cant make it to the bath room! so i cut off all her drinking after 7pm. then she said it was to dark in the hallway, i had night lights in the hallway and bathroom and its only like 3 steps to the bath room! so now i have to leave on the hallway light all night long! at first i was sympathetic to it but now im starting to get mad! of course she doesnt know that im mad but im really sick of it! ive sat her down and talked to her about it and she always has some new reason y! its to dark, i heard a bad sound!!! any tips? anything at all that might help her? she is in therapy once a week and has never said anything about being sexually abused or anything! i know she misses her parents but i cant fix that! idk wat to do anymore! thank god for a water prof mattress protector!

Caroline2010

Asked by Caroline2010 at 10:56 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have 6 kids (none of them have ever been abused, we are a two-parent, non-drinking, mom stays home with the kids, stable family) and one was a bed wetter until ... lemme think, she was like 9 or 10 before she stopped completely. One of her cousins was the same. Some kids just have that issue, but they DO GROW OUT OF IT. There's not much you can do to speed up the process, but there's a lot you can NOT do, that would harm the child's self-confidence and self-esteem. Just keep the mattress covered, treat washing sheets several times a week as part of being her Mom, and don't allow yourself to get mad. She CAN'T help it. She does NOT do it on purpose. I'd stop even giving her the third degree and making her come up with excuses. It's more a sleep issue than a bladder issue, but it is one she cannot yet control.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 11:15 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• My friend's kid was wetting the bed and come to find out she was being abused. I'm not saying your niece is for sure but wetting the bed is a sign.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:00 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• It could be her bladder is not matured. I would make a ped doc appt. I know they will put them on medication for this. My sisters daughter had to do this and now she is fine.
    Anonymous

• It kind of sounds like she wants the attention.I dont know the back story of how she came to be with you, but stress can do it, maybe she would get in trouble if she got up to go to the bathroom? im not sure, I would talk to the therapist about it when you go next, and maybe they can help with getting her out of it. good luck :)
    Leelee1008

Answer by Leelee1008 at 11:19 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• i thought it was for attention too! so i went out with her alone and we bought new bedding for her bed and had a long talk about going potty at night and then i told her that i understand if she cant make it but she needs to tell me so she has a nice dry bed to sleep in! i give her a lot of attention i think! she came from a house of 6 kids and one more on the way she is the middle baby! idk! thanks ladies i will just try to let it go and get used to it! but i will talk to her therapist about it again!
    Caroline2010

Comment by Caroline2010 (original poster) at 11:44 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• That's totally normal. I just talked to my son's pediatrician yesterday because my son, who is 6, just started peeing the bed again. He's sleeping really hard and doesn't wake up, or he sleep walks and pees in the wrong place. If it bothers you that much, put her in a pull up until she grows out of it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:48 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• You did not say what the circumstances were that briught her to live with you, but she could have been abused in the past. It could also be an immature bladder. Whatever the reason, she doesn't do it on purpose. Pull ups could help for now, and you say she is in therapy, so you are doing all you can. I had one who wet the bed til she was almost 13, but they do out grow it. Hang in there!
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 7:00 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• i clearly stated she was NOT ABUSED in her old home! but her older sis was and her mom was by their birth father but the mom has remarried so im sure she has seen some awful things! her parents got the kids taken away cuz they were caught with cocaine! she has a doc appt monday so i will talk with the doc about it! i would b afraid to put her in pull ups since that would make her feel like a baby! my 16month old is in pull ups!
    Caroline2010

Comment by Caroline2010 (original poster) at 2:33 PM on Jun. 10, 2011