Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are you going to do with your special needs child when they turn 18

My son is now 16YO and we plan on keeping Thor at home as long as possible. Whan that is no longer an option my brother is going to care for him


Asked by RobinChristine at 11:08 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 24 (19,992 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (2)
  • Keep her forever. She is mine, and I'm not sharing her.

    Answer by mrsziemann at 12:33 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

  • I want my son to be as independent as possible, so I am researching group homes. He's 13 and I don't have anything nailed down yet, but I know there is a farm about 45 mins from me that is for adults with autism, they work on the farm and pitch in to grow a lot of their own produce and they have to help out with chores around the house. It's 40K for a spot, but then his Medicaid will pick up and cover it from there on out. I know there are other options as well, but I want him to feel as typical as possible and moving out when his siblings are will be part of that. I don't want him any more than 45 mins away though because I want to be able to visit at least a couple times/week.
    He will stay in school until he's 21 though, to gain as many skills as possible before moving on.

    Answer by missanc at 9:10 AM on Jun. 10, 2011