My autistic son hates to wear clothes!!!

I think its part of his sensory issues. It drives me nuts.. cause I'll be in the other room for just a MINUTE and when I come back hes already down to his underwear!!

Do you have ANY idea how I can get him to keep his clothes on? =/

EvansMommy31605

Asked by EvansMommy31605 at 11:12 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• Is it maybe the tags, or seams, or a part of the clothes, not clothes in general, that bothers him? Is he verbal enough that you can ask him why, if they itch him, or what's wrong?
    Anonymous

• i try not to get anything with tags for him because he can't stand the tags. Yeah hes somewhat verbal but if he doesn't know how to answer my question he gets a bit fussy. He just really can't stand shirts.. he will wear shorts for a long time. He's been that way since he was very little.. he would cry and cry and when i got his clothes off he would calm down. he also doesn't like lotion or bug spray. He still wont hold my hand for very long but he does try. shoes are another big deal.. he will wear them all day while we're out but as soon as we get home they come off and so does the rest of his outfit. well except for the underwear..although when he was younger and in diapers he would never keep them on. i was always chasing around a naked baby.. lol.. he knows that he has to wear his underwear now so i know he can learn to wear his clothes.
    EvansMommy31605

Comment by EvansMommy31605 (original poster) at 11:40 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Have you tried clothes that are designed specifically for children with sensory avoidance? This is one website, but there are a lot more if you google it. Good luck!
    http://www.softclothing.net/
    KristeenieB

Answer by KristeenieB at 11:58 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Tags, the fabric, maybe even the color or a certain pattern?? My son has autism and my sister got him a blue sweater and it had a monkey on it and he would scream when I would try to put it on him!
    bouncingsoul

Answer by bouncingsoul at 12:09 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• thank you ladies! i'll try some new things tomorrow and i'll for sure check out that web site
    EvansMommy31605

Comment by EvansMommy31605 (original poster) at 12:45 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• My oldest is on the spectrum and has sensory issues. So I remember the frustration in trying to find clothes he would wear. For the longest time he hated jeans. I put them on him when he was little and he would scream and pull them off. It was not until last year (when he was 13/14) that he finally able to wear jeans-- but they had to be black jeans. When he was in 4th grade all he would wear was sweatpants (he hated any pants that had buttons/zippers). He prefers certain colors, fabrics and types of clothes.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:03 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Evan will only wear sweats and they have to be a dark color. all of his clothes are dark colors.. for some reason brighter colors bother him or make him moody.. most the time he wont put them on.. he's 6 now and just started talking so there are things he still has to figure out before he can relate an emotion into words.. so i still get yelling out of him.. he sometimes hits his head with his own hand... but i guess its better then when he would hit it against a door or wall... he was so upset the other day when i took all the kids to get ice cream and i told him to sit in the chair on the other side of his sister.. i didn't know the chair had a tear in it... and he wouldn't sit down so i told him to sit down now.. i just thought he was having a fit like any other child would do and then when i went over to sit him in the chair i noticed what the reason for the fussing. its still hard.. but i'm not going to give up.
    EvansMommy31605

Comment by EvansMommy31605 (original poster) at 3:24 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• When my son was little he would only wear sweats without the leg band at the bottom - so I had to buy him girls sweats in dark colors! We did brushing and it helped immensely with his tolerance to clothes.

Answer by missanc at 9:05 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• thank you for your ideas :)
    EvansMommy31605

Comment by EvansMommy31605 (original poster) at 10:32 AM on Jun. 10, 2011