Does anybody else have trouble with family on facebook?

There are a few family members with whom I have had issues with on Facebook and we have gone back and forth between friending and unfriending. Now the ball is in my court. Do I accept the friend request from the family member that unfriended me? It has been a while since we were friends on FB and they've had a baby recently so I'd really love to see pics and keep in touch for that reason. But, other than that, I don't see how it would be a good thing. Any ideas on what to do?

nepenthe429

Asked by nepenthe429 at 11:24 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Relationships

• I have, just one though, and it was over something completely stupid! He is someone I would not converse with if he wasn't a cousin!! And I don't even talk to him in person (we live thousands of miles apart), would not go out of my way to talk to him. He and I have different opinions and he takes everything I say as a personal attack, nothing I say has anything to do with him, nor was it meant to casue issues. He attacked me on facebook and I just wouldn't deal with it. We weren't "friends" on facebook for a few weeks then he came back and apologized. This only happened once, I accepted. But if it happens again I will not. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me! If you want to have a "relationship" accept, but try and keep it friendly. I would not continue to go back and forth though.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 11:39 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• let it go. i am not friends with anyone on FB that causes grief for me. family or not, they aren't worth my time.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:26 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• if you chose to accept them you can hide specific things from them... your status, your posts on others stuff, your whole wall if you chose.

I don't have issues on FB but I have blocked my MIL e-mail b/c she's such a douche!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:44 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I think you are taking facebook too seriously. I'm on it, but I just use it as a way to see pictures and hear updates from those that I otherwise wouldn't hear from often.

If you'd like to be able to see the pictures, then I suggest you accept the friend request and use the site to enjoy the pictures.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 10:56 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I am an activist and I share my views freely with my friends on facebook. Those who do not wish to intercept the messages are free to unfriend me, and this one has. However, I am reluctant to 'take them back' because I feel like they won't be able to ignore my posts about the things that may ruffle their feathers. I don't feel it's my obligation to protect them from opinions they don't agree with.
    nepenthe429

Comment by nepenthe429 (original poster) at 5:00 PM on Jun. 10, 2011