How do i get my 9month old to sleep?

Ever since she was 2 weeks old, she slept through the night...until now!! She wakes up screaming every lik 2 hours! What is going on? Its anytime she needs to sleep too. So nap time when I lay her down she freaks out. She use to have no problems with it ever. What can I do to calm her down or help her sleep throughout the night and take a nap longer than 30min a day?! Please help, I'm getting so frustrated and feel so bad.

B00boo

Asked by B00boo at 11:58 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is she teething??
    cmgIII

Answer by cmgIII at 11:59 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• She has been and getting them but with the other teeth, it was never like this.
    B00boo

Comment by B00boo (original poster) at 12:01 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Its scary to wake up to this screamcry that she makes. its almost like someone is hurting her. its so hard seeing her cry like this. im a first time mom so maybe to others this is nothing but i feel bad.
    B00boo

Comment by B00boo (original poster) at 12:04 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• My son did this for a while. Does she stretch her legs out at all? My son did and I always rubbed them and he was fine. I realized he was having "growing pains". He was also teething at the time too. I would give him some ibproufen or motrin when he would wake up like that and just rock him until he fell asleep.
    cmgIII

Answer by cmgIII at 12:07 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• My dd did that too except she was a little older. Her doc told me if u have a way of looking in on her without her seeing u just to make sure everything is ok, his advice was to let her cry it out., They get used to someone coming in and its a hard habit to break. They need to learn how to comfort themselves. And I do realize its easier said then done, I am a 1st time mom too. My dd is 2 yr old now. It took my daughter about 4 or 5 nights to realize and to learn how to comfort herself. The crying will lessen in intensity after about 2 nights. If it goes on for more then a week or so, then taker her in and check to see if there is something else wrong.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:12 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• PS....they have bad dreams alot at this age too cause of the new experiences they have and theuy try and sort thru it and what they can't process during the day, it acts out in their dreams. Kinda like adults do.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:15 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Does she do anything to make you think she might be in pain at all? Tears, painful/pinchy sounding screams/crying? Maybe have her checked for an ear infection - she sounds a LOT like what my kids would do when they had one, wake up a lot crying and not go down for naps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Okay thank you so much! Ill tell my hubby so we can work this together! Its gona be tough! We got the medicine on hand! And oh man I didn't even know they could have bad dreams yet! :( poor baby. Makes it harder but ill stick with it! Not only do I need sleep but she does too! She's been runnin on about 4 hours of sleep the last couple of days! Thanks again moms! I appreciate it!
    B00boo

Comment by B00boo (original poster) at 12:33 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• You might try swaddling her. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It won't hurt to try.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:41 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• they go through growth spurts...honestly, no to bum you out but my daughter slept better at 6 months old than she did at a year old!! She's 2 1/2 and STILL wakes up occassionally...I was never able to swaddle her either..she hated being confined. Can you nurse her back to sleep?? maybe put her in a little co-sleeper next to you?? not trying to start a debate..just a suggestion.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:27 AM on Jun. 10, 2011