BREAST FEEDING QUESTION What does let down feel like?

Um yeah I feel pretty stupid but what does it feel like when your milk "comes down" or "let down"??? And what exactly does that mean?
My baby is only 3wks old so we are still getting this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• "let down" means that you're producing more. sometimes the baby can eat as much as you have in your breast, but keeps sucking. if the baby keeps sucking you will "let down" some more to get the baby fed. the more you let your baby suck, the more you will produce.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:23 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• It feels tingly.
    Cafe Suzanne

Answer by Cafe Suzanne at 11:35 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Let down is when milk is released through the ducts. For some women, it's a stinging sensation that may be painful. Some women don't feel a thing, though.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:35 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Mine breasts tingled when when I had let down. I def felt it though when it did happen. You can also hear(or at least I can) when baby sounds like he/she is gulping.
    mommy_bink

Answer by mommy_bink at 11:46 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• My letdown feels really tingly. That is usually a good sign that my daughter is going to want to feed within minutes.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 11:47 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• It varies. Some women feel nothing. Some feel pressure in their breasts, some feel tingling, some feel pain. It also will often change as baby gets older and eating habits change.

For example...my letdown HURT for the first month or so. Then it was just a build up and release of pressure. Then nothing for months...until she hits a growth spurt and is eating more at once, then it is pressure and sometimes slight pain. Then nothing for months again.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 11:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• it tingled n kinda burned.....for me..but wasnt painfull really just an odd feeling u might notice your let down if u dont feel it if ur son seems like he is choking on your milk all of a sudden ....thats whatmine did she would be chocking on it all of a sudden n id have to take her off sit her up n then put her back on whole time id be leaking all over...lol
    gonnabamomma

Answer by gonnabamomma at 12:15 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• ur breast get realy hard for a minute or two,it means ur getting more milk in,most times my let down happens when she is nursing,it hurts for me.if ur not coverd while its happining u will spray,lol
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:14 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• You know that pins and needles feeling when your foot falls asleep? Migrate that north to your chest ... I only ever felt it with one of my three, the last one. With my older two I never felt let down, but it obviously was happening based on the dish sized wet spots on my shirt.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 9:44 AM on Dec. 11, 2008