Weining off the pacifier

Hi mommies,
I was just wondering at what age are we suppose to start weining our babies off pacifiers? I have seen 4 year olds walking around with them and I dont want that !!!!!
Thanks

kristalsfirst

Asked by kristalsfirst at 11:22 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Recient studies have shown that a baby having one past their first birthday reduces the risk of SIDS.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 11:31 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I would try to do it around the same time you take the bottle which is usually around the one year mark.
    lanesmommy08

Answer by lanesmommy08 at 11:34 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• my mom said she took ours away around 6 months and we were fine. My son has one and when he learns to walk he will not have a paci. I think they look stupid, but the first post is right about it helping to prevent SIDS.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 11:59 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• * well it really depends on you..its your kid so its up to you...my daughter is 10 months and she hardly ever wants it..that case i never got her attached to it cause i didnt want to do the "weaning" thing with her..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• 4-6 months is when you start pitching the paci... when babies get older than 6 months, they really can react to a soothing item, and for most babies, its the paci, my son doesnt use his anymore.. he is 5 months old, granted he never really used one, but good luck.. i heard from another mom who was having issues getting her son to give up his, she just took it away and let him cry for two days, and after that, it was over, and he forgot all about it
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 9:18 PM on Dec. 11, 2008