Does breastfeeding effect fertility?

I am still breastfeeding my daughter (she will be 8 months on the 25th). My period has returned yet and we plan to try to concieve after she turns one and I plan to ween her at the time also. Can I even get pregnant without having a period? Will it take longer for my fertility to return since I am breastfeeding?

JaLayah

Asked by JaLayah at 12:38 AM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• Yes you can get pregnant without having your period, while breastfeeding. You still ovulate ;).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• nope,
    otoole

Answer by otoole at 12:42 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Breastfeeding actually does make chances of conceiving less. doesn't mean you can't get pregnant, but the majority of your nutrients are going to the baby instead of your body.
    cmgIII

Answer by cmgIII at 12:52 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I guess I should have said that if you are currently breastfeeding and trying to conceive, it does affect your chances. When you are finished breastfeeding, it does not affect the chances. Keep taking prenatal vitamins.
    cmgIII

Answer by cmgIII at 1:19 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I've been wondering the same thing, I hope you get alot of good answers!
    kmqw229

Answer by kmqw229 at 6:57 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Every woman is different. For some women, nursing even once a day is enough to keep them from getting pregnant. For others, exclusively breastfeeding doesn't make a difference, and they get pregnant. The only way to know how it will go for you is to start trying. If you have trouble, that's likely the culprit, but give it at least 6 months before you blame the breast-feeding. Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:02 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

•  breastfeeding can stop ovulation although not always true which is why it should not be used as a form of BC. After you stop breastfeeding your body will go back to normal...how long that takes can very though.

happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 4:08 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Breastfeeding can and does stop ovulation all together in many women. I never ovulate before my childrens first birthday and I know that for sure because I chart.

Since your AF has already returned it is unlikely that you will have any issues concieving. Also fertility returns very fast weaning so it most likely will not be an issue for you.
    Anonymous

• yea you can still get pregnant
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 11:10 PM on Jun. 11, 2011