My Dr really wants me to concider taking Zoloft....

but I have seen many comercials lately showing lawsuits for Zoloft during pregnancy, and how it causes birth defects. Why would my Dr even suggest it if it is so dangerous? Does she really think it's safe. I am not sure what to do bc my Dr has had good judgment so far. This is my first pregnancy and I am dealing with alot of issues and I do need medication, but I don't think it's worth the risk of my babies health. Then again all the stress and depression I'm dealing with is dangerous for my baby. I don't know what to do? Any thoughts or advice ladies?

MommyMJean

Asked by MommyMJean at 12:58 AM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Health

• Hmm, I can't really give you advice, only to say that I would be concerned, too. I have a friend who took it during her pregnancy. Sometimes even good doctors get in a rut and don't like to change their practices when new information comes out. I would just suggest that you read up as much as you can find on it and then make your decision. Ultimately, you're the mama, and it's up to you to do the best thing for your baby. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:02 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• What do u need meds for? For depression? Bipolar? Sometimes since a woman's chemistry changes and thsats enough to helop out it. I was diagnosed with bipolar 2 yrs before I got prego and when I found out, and I stopped meds much to my docs dismay on the condition if I felt like I needed them I would resume them. I never needed them. But like the above post said, its up to u mama. AS for the commericals on the side effects of these drugs and the birth defects are lawyers seeking a easy pay day. I am niot saying it doesn't happen, it does, but its rare and most of the time its in the higher dosage. I f u do want or need to take meds, maybe in the 2 trimester instead of the 1st when the baby is growing the most and all the devolpment occurs.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:02 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• if u need to be on them take them when i was pregnant with my 2nd son i took it and it help me out the one bad point to it was it made me sick so its different with every women
    Sara_Carter

Answer by Sara_Carter at 6:57 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• You need to weigh all the risks and benefits that you might experience while taking the medication. There are indeed possible birth defects that the child might develop when you take Zoloft. You can try to go with your gut feeling and if you will not take Zoloft, there are other methods in dealing with depression and anxiety. You may also refer Zoloft Sertraline Birth Defects,

AngelenaMays

Answer by AngelenaMays at 12:02 PM on Apr. 25, 2012