How long should you date a person before you allow them around your kids?

my daughter is 5months. i don't want to confuse her. how long should i date a man before i allow him to come around her or spend time with me and her?

MEnMYbabyGIRL

Asked by MEnMYbabyGIRL at 1:19 AM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• I would wait until I knew we were serious and that he wasn't going to just walk into my kid's lives and then leave.
    cmgIII

Answer by cmgIII at 1:21 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• you know, men are so unpredictable these days. it seems like that could be forever. and i'm young, but not getting any younger. although i should feel like i have plenty of time to date, i don't. and i'm so bored with the process. i often want to jump right in to a relationship even though it's not the right thing to do. i guess i'm eager to have my own family. i'm in a vulnerable state of mind. lol. maybe i just shouldn't date!
    MEnMYbabyGIRL

Comment by MEnMYbabyGIRL (original poster) at 1:27 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• 5 months old won't remember him anyway, if he doesn't stick around..I would be more concerned if she was 5 years old...when they're that little, they forget the second they are out of sight...I don't think it would hurt anything for him to see her...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:28 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• also...I think it would be a great thing for all of you, maybe, to spend some time at the park, etc...it might change how you see him too and you can see how he is with your daughter...she really is too young to know what's going on.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:29 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Here are my reasons.....first off, I am married with 3 stepkids. My stepdaughter has a different mom than the two boys. Anyhow, her mom has dated several men in the last five years and have introduced them to her very early. She is now in counseling because of everything she has been exposed to. Her mom now has to live with that. I have seen what it has done to my stepdaughter and I would hate to see other kids go through that. Not saying you are that type of person by any means. Don't give up dating, but don't rush into anything.
    cmgIII

Answer by cmgIII at 1:32 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I started dating my now husband when my daughter was 5 months exactly...
    If he's right. It'll show. If he's okay with having a two for one deal, let them test the waters. It may turn out to be great.
    Ashleigh_17

Answer by Ashleigh_17 at 1:32 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• i suppose you're right. so, with that being said, at what age should i start being concerned? 2-ish?
    MEnMYbabyGIRL

Comment by MEnMYbabyGIRL (original poster) at 1:33 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I didn't see where you said she was 5 months....sorry I'm tired! Lol
    cmgIII

Answer by cmgIII at 1:33 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• 2 or 3 I would say... that's when they start realizing that "daddy not home"...my daughter did anyway...She'll be 3 in August and she's VERY alert as to what's going on..has been since before 2. but ya, while they're in first few months, I don't think there's antyhing wrong with it..you'll be with her.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:34 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• now i don't feel so bad... thanks!! :)
    MEnMYbabyGIRL

Comment by MEnMYbabyGIRL (original poster) at 1:37 AM on Jun. 10, 2011