My son is 6 years old and keeps rubbing poo all over the walls at home and at School

People say its an attention thing but honestly i pay all the attention to him that i can being a single mother. I really dont no what to do

singlemum305

Asked by singlemum305 at 4:21 AM on Jun. 10, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Punish him. That's disgusting.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:46 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Do not be embarrassed this is an issue you need to see a Dr. about. It could be nothing or something. I don't want to scare you though it can be anything from sexual abuse to just simple acting out. It's common among kids at the toddler stage though he's past that age. Give you Doc a call and don't get the answer from here. It could be something deep or simple. I wouldn't wait.
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 5:06 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Punishment will not work. Something is wrong, and kids don't smear poop for "attention." I was a child psychologist for over 20 years. You need to discuss this with your pediatrician and get your son evaluated at his local mental health clinic or by a child psychologist/psychiatrist if you have Medicaid or health insurance to get help privately. Your local school system also has a team of experts that will check kids out to see if they can get into early intervention programs free of charge in the school system. This is not a common or simple behavior problem that you can just punish and it will go away.
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 5:08 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I agree, this is not normal attention seeking behavior in a six yr old. Pleas talk to your doctor about this at once.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 6:55 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I agree with the above posters that this is not normal behavior for a child of 6 years old. Even one who is desperate for attention. Please by all means go ahead and make an Apt to talk to his ped at least. You don't even have to take him with you. Just schedule a consultation. From there she will be able to help guide you as to what the next best steps are though I imagine it would involve a visit to a psychologist. Getting help for something like this is nothing to be a worried about or ashamed of. Most peds and I am certain most psychologist have already heard it all. No one one is going to try to lay blame on you all they will be interested in is getting to the bottom of this behavior.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:38 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I am a therapist and agree with the psychologist. This isn't about punishment or attention. In fact there is a name for what he is doing and there can be many reasons why. It is important to get him help, be patient, and not to place harsh punishment.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:28 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Definitely something going on. I would consult your pediatrician for a referral to a behavioral speicalist.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 1:44 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I'm sorry:(
    Sounds like there is something going on with him.
    ceciliam

Answer by ceciliam at 6:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Definitely more going on than just seeking attention. I agree with the above posters to talk to his pediatrician about what is going on.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:00 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Sounds like something is going on with him. I hope you figure it out soon and get the help he needs! Good luck!
    Charizma77

Answer by Charizma77 at 10:21 PM on Jun. 10, 2011