What is a safe, yet effective weight loss regiment?

I don't want to get sucked into any of these "fad" diets, nor do I want to risk my health by taking potentially dangerous pills. I try to watch my calories and fat intake...it is just so hard and I feel like I am starving so then I'm too tempted to "overdo" it when I eat the next time. I'm just tired of being disappointed in my appearance - I really want to feel "pretty" again...

LauraElliott

Asked by LauraElliott at 4:55 AM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Go to Amazon.com and order Susan Hepburn's DVD "Weight Loss Without Dieting" I lost 60 lbs listening to it every day and it was painless and I never starved or felt hungry or deprived. Basic philosophy is enjoy eating, eat whatever you want but always in moderation (small portion sizes), visualize how happy being the size you want to be will make you, enjoy exercise instead of seeing it as a chore, select lower fat content items to eat automatically, eat only when you actually feel hungry.
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 5:01 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I just watch what I eat and the amount that I eat, I eat smaller portioned meals but I eat whatever I want. And I try to get in atleast an hour to two hours of excerise in a day.
    Kat1990

Answer by Kat1990 at 9:55 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I'm eating clean, which has helped me lose over 60 lbs (along with running and weight training). Any book by Tosca Reno will give you some good guidance, but here's an overview of what eating clean is.  I'm studying to be a nutritionist and a midwife, and I've typed up this about healthy weight loss.  No diets that eliminate food groups (like low carb or no fruits).  You need all of the food groups for a reason.  Good luck!

musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:34 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Thanks for the tips everyone! I've been trying to keep an eye on my portion sizes, as well as cutting back on my soda intake -- that is so hard though...I LOVE my Mountain Dew and absolutely can't stand the diet stuff. But now I have some other ideas to follow too :)
    LauraElliott

Comment by LauraElliott (original poster) at 3:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I just answered in another post....I started using a salad plate instead of a dinner plate for my meals...portion control. We really do not need a 10" plate full of food. Small portions, lean meats, 3oz.....steamed /fresh veggies, cut back on fats, carbs, ....try to give up junk foods and just eat healthier. Your metabolism will work better and weight loss will come. A little exercise helps too...walking 20-30min a day or exercise with dvd at home. I used Slim n 6 (first dvd in set) and it worked GREAT, just as they promised. I lost 15lbs in 3.5 weeks.
    I hope you find what works and what you like!!
    Good Luck!
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 9:00 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Wt Watchers is a reasonable plan, although it's not free. The DASH Diet was designed for those with high blood pressure, but it's also very healthy and effective for wt loss too (and free). http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/dash/new_dash.pdf
    Eliminate the empty kcal foods/drinks like soda pop, alcohol, etc. Most sodas contain 8-12 Teaspoons of white sugar in 12oz. Remember that you are setting an example for your kids -- motivation :) Make your whole family eat the way you do (presuming you go with a healthy plan like DASH) -- usually most families do not just have 1 person who could benefit from a healthy lifestyle change. Don't go crazy on any extreme, just be middle-of-the-road in your approach. 100% whole wheat bread, lean meats or vegetarian proteins like legumes, 7-9 servings of fruits/veggies daily, etc. And don't forget to start incorporating some family exercise that everyone will benefit from.
    klickitykat

Answer by klickitykat at 11:25 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I am on a 1600 calorie diet(which I never eat in a day) and what has helped me is write down everything--for example this morning I had 1 cup malt-o-meal; 1 slice wheat bread with margarine and 1 cup Orange Juice and then I have a book that breaks it down according to how many calories; how many carbohydrates and etc; so that might help you also it is sometimes easier when you have things written down to know how much you are consuming in a day; but you may also want to consult with a dietician or your doctor before starting anything
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:25 PM on Jun. 13, 2011