I OWE YOU SOMETHING?!?! more of a vent than a question!

So I work in a restaurant as a server/bartender. I was taking care of a family at one of my tables and they asked for the check so I brought it to them along with anything else they could possibly need. The woman complains about our pricing and proceeds to tell me that we need to give her a discount because my people owe her for all the years of slavery! I'm standing there in shock thinking "I'm not even white!" I mean its clear as day I'm not white! I don't run around saying people owe me something for the trail of tears! Needless to say she didn't tip me at all. What would you say to someone who tells you something like that?

onemellowmom

Asked by onemellowmom at 5:17 AM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• lol wow, what a piece of work. thing is, she knew walking into your restaurant that she was going to do that. didn't matter who was her server.
    i hate racism of all forms.
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 5:45 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Thats effin Hilarious! People are idiots. Im sorry you had to deal with that sort of person.
    jealousymagnet

Answer by jealousymagnet at 5:39 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I would have laughed, said "that's a good one!"
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:06 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• As a prior waitress, I'd just shrug it off as one of those crazies that will do anything to get out of a tip. See, they're cheap and have to come up with some excuse to justify not tipping you. I never knew how rediculous "grownups" could act until I waited tables, sorry they didn't tip you.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 5:44 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I think i would've laughed at her. i hate when people use that to try to get whatever. I don't think she was the one that was a slave back then. We could all go and look for reason why we are owed because of something that happened to our families. Its just dumb.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 7:03 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Just grin and bear it ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:37 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Laugh? Tell her you don't owe her anything?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:08 PM on Jun. 10, 2011