How do you protect your baby from sids i have had it happen to my first daughter when she was almost 6 weeks old and now my son is 5 weeks old im just scared

mommy2be22321

Asked by mommy2be22321 at 6:41 AM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• So sorry. That must be really scary. I don't have the answer to your question but if I were in your shoes I think I'd cosleep with a cosleeper next to my bed and keep the baby near me during naps. Bassinett or a swing or a bouncy chair.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 6:54 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• A pacifier can help as can having a fan on alsotry one of those baby monitors that detect movement.
    CrazyMommy87

Answer by CrazyMommy87 at 7:03 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• First and foremost, pray, if you have faith in any higher power, because SIDS is not something you have control over it. Pediatrician told me that SIDS babies in most cases have brain deformations, which can not be diagnosed (the baby is the baby). I'm tremendously sorry for your loss and there is no words that can comfort you for the loss of your first baby.
    With the second baby, I suggest to make him sleep on his back or on his sides. The hospital staff fought me that the best way for few weeks babies to sleep is on the sides. And only on the sides, because it helps baby to through out unnecessary milk and helps their stomachs to feel better and not to get suffocated. No sleeping on the belly strictly. Then. You should not put any toys or blankets or pillows or bed covers around the baby. The bed should be empty. Just the baby in his sleeping cloth and that's it. To be on the safe side. No coo sleeping in the early age.
    LadyGI

Answer by LadyGI at 7:11 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• There were some studies conducted in countries such as Japan and Korea. These studies were discredited but researches went as far as saying that SIDS might be associated with immunizations. Even though the studies were taken as unproven the government of Japan decided to delay immunizations. My friend from college is from Japan. He tells me that babies in Japan start immunizations as late as 2 years old. Please discuss this with your doctor if he/she hasn't already.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 7:12 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I'm so sorry for what you went though. You can reduce the odds greatly by things like laying him on his back to sleep, not allowing smoke around, carefully choosing bedding, never allow baby to overheat, use a fan and keep the room well ventilated. Also, binkies and breastfeeding are supposed to reduce the odds.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 7:16 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I highly recommend the "HiSense BabySense V Baby Safe Infant Movement Monitor". It monitors the babies breathing & sets off an alarm if the baby stops breathing. It is an excellent product & I had it for my Son so I was able to rest. The sell it on Amazon.com.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:21 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I have three kids and by the time they were a month old i put them right by me when i sleep i can feel every little movement ,breathe, fart ect.. its that mother instinct and before they were a month old i sleep with the bassinet right by my bead and my hand on my babies tummys i am a very cautious mom i always have my kids with me 24/7 nobody watches my kids but me and my hubby i hope this helps it works perfectly for me ! have a wonderful day
    22mommyof3girls

Answer by 22mommyof3girls at 9:31 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Im so sorry to hear that, how difficult that must have been. I wouldn't lay the baby on it's tummy, and also don't put oversized blankets or dolls in it's crib, but the biggest piece of advice I can give u, the one thing that really helps is to have faith that God loves u and ur baby and is watching over ur small one and protecting him/her all the time! I pray every night/morning that Gods keeps my child protected at all times!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 11:07 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Also doll, don't be afraid, fear brings negativity. We have no control over certain things so don't live each day in fear, enjoy ur beautiful baby! :)
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 11:10 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• We had an angle care monitor for my son that really helped put my mind at ease...
    Also, talk to your baby's pediatrician, I know sometimes they will order apnea monitors for siblings of infants who died from SIDS
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:52 AM on Jun. 10, 2011