Doberman puppy OK around children?

My husband suggested getting a doberman puppy, and I wasn't sure what their temperment was like around young children, anyone have any insight? I have a feeling they get a bad wrap, but if we get one as a pup and raise it correctly around kids from the beginning... but I wasn't sure if they're violent by nature.

1st_time_mom23

Asked by 1st_time_mom23 at 6:50 AM on Jun. 10, 2011 in Pets

• The key with ANY Dog is socialization and training. Also remember with ANY animal, if it has teeth it can bite, therefore never leave you child unattended with ANY animal no matter how sweet it is. Dobies can be very good families dogs and I totally agree with daps.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:04 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I think ANY dog has the potential to be a great dog, just like ANY dog has the potential to be a danger. It's all in how you raise and handle the dog. My DH had 2 of them as a child, and they were very tolerant of him playing with them. They would even ride in a tonka truck- too cute!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:18 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Yes they do get a bad rap, but there are bad breeders out there. Breeders that inter breed or over breed the dogs, just to make a profit. The best way to pick out any puppy is to find a good private breeder. Someone who cares and does this on the side. Will breed their dog with different dogs, to get the best of both parents. Also if you go to private breeder you can see the mother and hopefully the father. This way you can see the personalities of the parents. Whether they are aggressive or not. Also with dobs they are very intelligent. You have to make sure you have the time to walk them, and train them, also train your kids. A bored dob will cause all kind of havoc in your house. The most important thing is you and the kids need to be impressed on the dob that you are alphas in the house. if you don't they will take over. This goes for all dogs.
    daps

Answer by daps at 7:09 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• We had 3 of them growing up, never had any problem . Very loving, beautiful animals! We also got them as puppies and had lots of other kids around, they turned out to be very good pets!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 7:09 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I have never been around this breed of dogs but i will bump you.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 6:56 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• http://www.collargirl.com/doberman_pinsher.htm
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 6:57 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• It's all in the training and interaction
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 8:47 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• ANY dog will be great with kids if properly socialized with them. You just have to train the dog to be careful with the kids and the kids to respect the dog as a living thing that is not to be treated as a toy.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 6:56 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• as long as you train him I see no problems
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:17 PM on Jun. 15, 2011